Fix a black screen of death on Xbox One with these simple steps
There seems to be a widespread black screen glitch plaguing the Xbox One right now affecting how the dashboard loads from the web, causing some sections to appear blank. If you’re one of the users experiencing the black screen of death on Xbox One, here are the solutions available from Microsoft.
How do I fix black screen issues on the Xbox One
- Blank screen after returning to Home
- Blank screen when watching a Blu-ray Disc
- Blank screen after turning on the console
- Using an AVR in your setup
- Request a repair
- Other methods
1. Blank screen after returning to Home
- Hold down the Xbox button on the front of the console for roughly 10 seconds to turn off the console.
- Press the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your Xbox One wireless controller to turn the console back on.
2. Blank screen when watching a Blu-ray Disc
Xbox One’s screen can also turn blank if its Video output is set to Allow 24Hz. Switch off Allow 24Hz:
- Press the Xbox button on your wireless controller to open the guide.
- Click All settings.
- Select Display & sound.
- Click Video options.
- Then select Enable 24Hz to turn off this setting.
3. Blank screen after turning on the console
- Check that your TV is set to the correct input signal (HDMI).
- Ensure that the HDMI cable connection to your console is secure.
- Check that the HDMI cable connection to your TV is secure.
- Check that the HDMI cable is connected to the “out to TV” port on the console.
- Perform a cold boot on your Xbox One console by holding the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds, and then turn it on again.
- You can also reset your display settings:
- If there’s a disc in the Xbox One console, remove it.
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the console for five seconds to turn off the console.
- Press and hold the Xbox button and the Eject button until you hear a beep to turn on the console. You will hear one beep right away and a second beep 10 seconds later. (Note that this will boot your console in low-resolution mode (640 × 480). You can reset this setting through Settings > Display & sounds > Video options > TV Resolution.)
- Change your TV connected to HDMI if you are required to complete these steps on every boot-up.
- Connect the HDMI cable into a different HDMI port on your TV.
- Use a different HDMI cable to connect your console to your TV.
- Connect your console to a different TV.
4. Using an AVR in your setup
If you connect your Xbox One to an audio-video receiver that’s connected to your television but still get no sound, here’s a fix:
- Switch on your devices in the following order:
- Turn on your television first.
- Once your television is displaying a picture, turn on the AVR.
- Turn on your Xbox One console.
- Turn the input source of AVR away from Xbox One and then back to HDMI or HDMI2, and then back to HDMI1 again using the Input button on your television’s remote control.
- Reboot the AVR.
- Set your TV connected to HDMI:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Display & sound.
- Select Video output.
- Click on TV connection.
- Select the HDMI option.
5. Request a repair
If the solutions above do not fix the problem, request a repair request in Device Support:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account and select the Problem with a device.
- Under For which device? choose your Xbox One console or register it.
- Click Display Issue and select Next.
- On the next page, provide details the issue in the Describe your problem field.
- Based on the problem described, we need to create a service order to replace your device, click Next.
- Follow the steps to complete your service order.
6. Other methods
Several other methods exist to help you fix the Xbox One BSOD issue:
- Open the guide, press “Home,” and then navigate to another tab away from the main dashboard to prevent the bug from taking place.
- You can also set your console to offline mode by disconnecting from Xbox Live.
Do you know of other fixes to this problem? Let us know below!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Blank TV screen when starting Xbox One/Xbox One S? Fix it now
- 5 solutions to fix HBO Now issues on Xbox One
- 5 game recording software for Xbox One to capture all the action
- Fix: Xbox One error “Network settings are blocking party chat”
Apex Legends DirectX error can prevent you from starting the game, and in today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix this problem once and […]
A new feature to the Windows 10 Calculator app is currently under development. Recent reports suggest that Microsoft is adding a graphing mode to its […]
Folks, we’ve got some good news for you: File Explorer will soon be updated with Fluent Design elements. The new Fire Explorer should hit the […]