FIX: VPN Error 812 in Windows 10
Solutions to fix VPN error 812 the connection was prevented
- How to quickly bypass error 812
- Check Tunnel type settings
- Contact your network administrator
- Create a different authentication protocol
- Contact your VPN provider
- Change your VPN client
The VPN Error 812, unlike many other issues, is not a very common VPN error code. Very few users will actually encounter it as it mainly affects server connections. However, it does not necessarily mean that it cannot be resolved. This error may be encountered after the April Windows upgrade or as a result of an issue between clients and Net Promoter Score (NPS).
Here’s the complete VPN error 812 message: The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.
Why does VPN error 812 appear?
The VPN Error 812 seems to appear for several reasons:
- When the Server Network Policy and Client Connection Profile don’t match the Authentication Protocol. This is easy to fix.
- When NPS does not update the value added to “Tunnel Type” Condition in Network Policy. This is a more complex situation.
Here is an example for the second situation:
- A new Network Policy is set with “Day and time restrictions”, “Operating system”, “Windows group” and “Tunnel type” Conditions
- Tunnel Type is valued with “PPTP” only and when users are trying to connect to their VPN client, error 812 appears.
How to fix VPN error 812 on Windows 10
Solution 1: How to quickly bypass error 812
- Once you have encountered the error, make sure to change the Primary DNS to Domain Controller at first.
- After the first step, set up the External DNS by accessing the Secondary DNS.
- Now select the range of the Primary DNS as 184.108.40.206, check and apply the settings and restart your VPN. It should work properly .
— READ ALSO: Are VPNs worth the money?
Solution 2: Check Tunnel type settings
If the issue persists, or the above solution doesn’t seem to agree with your system, follow the next steps:
- Select additional value to “Tunnel type” Condition, like “L2TP” to obtain value “L2TP OR PPTP”;
- Apply and close the Network Policy;
- Connect VPN client. It should work.
- Revert the Network Policy to the good value for “Tunnel type” Condition, here it is “PPTP” only;
- Apply and close the Network Policy;
- Connect VPN client, it works and your Network Policy is now well set.
Solution 3: Contact your network administrator
Error 812 may also occur due to insufficient access rights. In this case, the safest approach is to simply contact your network administrator in order to update your permissions and make sure that all the protocol and network authentication permissions are correct.
Solution 4: Create a different authentication protocol
Some users suggested that error 812 occurs when using an Authentication protocol set via NPS (Network Policy and Access Services). The solution suggested involves configuring a different authentication protocol (more secure), such as MS-CHAPv2 or EAP in order to match the settings on the client side.
Solution 5: Contact your VPN provider
If Error 812 still appears, you should contact your VPN service provider. Every VPN developer has a list of the most common issues affecting their products as well as the corresponding solutions.
Trying a different VPN may solve this problem but you must be sure that you choose the right one. CyberGhost VPN is one of the best tools that have a great support behind and it’s heavily protected against this type of errors between SNP and CPP or other of them that could lead to 812 error. We recommend you to install and get connected via CyberGhost.
- Get now Cyberghost (currently 73% discount)
If you came across other workarounds to solve VPN error 812, do let us know in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Cisco VPN not working on Windows 10
- How to fix VPN issues on the Opera browser
- FIX: VPN doesn’t hide location, what can I do?
From billing and data management to keeping track of inventory, finance and business tasks, Microsoft Excel is one handy program. The fact that Excel application is […]
A recent security update by Microsoft addressed an Internet Explorer‘s vulnerability that was initially discovered by Google’s Threat Analysis Group. Microsoft described the vulnerability as “An information […]