- Any decent VPN service should offer a VPN client that is easy to use and doesn't cause any errors.
- However, even popular VPN services can face various technical problems.
- For instance, at a certain point, you may encounter VPN error 812 on your PC.
- If that ever happens, you need to be prepared. Check out our guide and learn how to fix it.
Solutions to fix VPN error 812 the connection was prevented
The VPN Error 812, unlike many other issues, is not a very common VPN error code. Very few users will actually encounter it as it mainly affects server connections. However, it does not necessarily mean that it cannot be resolved. This error may be encountered after the April Windows upgrade or as a result of an issue between clients and Network Policy Server (NPS).
Here’s the complete VPN error 812 message: The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.
Why does VPN error 812 appear?
The VPN Error 812 seems to appear for several reasons:
- When the Server Network Policy and Client Connection Profile don’t match the Authentication Protocol. This is easy to fix.
- When NPS does not update the value added to Tunnel Type Condition in Network Policy. This is a more complex situation.
Here is an example for the second situation:
- A new Network Policy is set with Day and time restrictions, Operating system, Windows group and Tunnel type Conditions
- Tunnel Type is valued with PPTP only and when users are trying to connect to their VPN client, error 812 appears.
How to fix VPN error 812 on Windows 10
Solution 1: Change your VPN client
Trying a different VPN may solve this problem but you must be sure that you choose the right one. Private Internet Access, or PIA, operated by Kape Technologies, is one of the best tools that have great support behind and it’s heavily protected against this type of error between SNP and CPP or other of them that could lead to 812 error.
We recommend you switch your provider to PIA because it also comes with a great number of features that will improve your experience:
- A large number of servers available in many locations around the world
- Split-tunneling to let certain programs connect directly to the Internet
- Privacy-focused service with full support for P2P and a no-logs policy
Private Internet Access
Need a great VPN without any of the error messages? Check out PIA, now at a discount price for a limited time only!
Solution 2: How to quickly bypass error 812
- Once you have encountered the error, make sure to change the Primary DNS to Domain Controller at first.
- After the first step, set up the External DNS by accessing the Secondary DNS.
- Now select the range of the Primary DNS as 220.127.116.11, check and apply the settings and restart your VPN. It should work properly.
Solution 3: Check Tunnel type settings
If the issue persists, or the above solution doesn’t seem to agree with your system, follow the next steps:
- Select the additional value to Tunnel type Condition, like L2TP to obtain value L2TP OR PPTP;
- Apply and close the Network Policy;
- Connect VPN client. It should work.
- Revert the Network Policy to the good value for Tunnel type Condition, here it is PPTP only;
- Apply and close the Network Policy;
- Connect VPN client, it works and your Network Policy is now well set.
Solution 4: Contact your network administrator
Error 812 may also occur due to insufficient access rights. In this case, the safest approach is to simply contact your network administrator in order to update your permissions and make sure that all the protocol and network authentication permissions are correct.
Solution 5: Create a different authentication protocol
Some users suggested that error 812 occurs when using an Authentication protocol set via NPS (Network Policy and Access Services). The solution suggested involves configuring a different authentication protocol (more secure), such as MS-CHAPv2 or EAP in order to match the settings on the client-side.
Solution 6: Contact your VPN provider
If Error 812 still appears, you should contact your VPN service provider. Every VPN developer has a list of the most common issues affecting their products as well as the corresponding solutions.
If you come across other workarounds to solve VPN error 812, do let us know in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A VPN error is a number representing an error code when the connection to the VPN server failed. This could be from a number of different reason. Each provider should assist you with the specific error code.
If you get an error because the VPN is blocked, make sure you check our complete guide on unblocking the VPN anywhere you are.
It’s a service that lets you connect to the Internet via a secure connection to another network of computers. This offers some protection and some privacy for your online activity.