A lot of users utilize Outlook as email client software so that they can open Gmail emails within that application. However, a repeating password error arises for some users when they try to connect Outlook with Gmail. When that error arises, Outlook keeps requesting that users enter their Gmail passwords even though they’ve already entered the correct login details. Consequently, users can’t establish an IMAP (Internet Messaging Access Protocol) connection for Gmail to open that webmail within the Outlook software.
How to fix the repeating password error for Gmail?
1. Turn on the Allow Less Secure Apps option
- The repeating password error often arises as a consequence of having 2-Step-Verification enabled. To turn 2-Step-Verification off, open your Google Account page in a browser.
- Then click Security on the left of the page.
- Turn off the 2-Step Verification setting there.
- Scroll further down to the Less secure app access option. Turn on the Less secure app access setting.
2. Enable IMAP and Set Up a Unique App Password
- Users can still fix Outlook’s repeating password error for Gmail with 2-Step-Verification on by generating an app password to connect to Gmail with. First, check that IMAP is enabled by opening Gmail within a browser.
- Click the Settings button, and select Settings on the menu.
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab shown directly below.
- Then select the Enable IMAP option.
- Press the Save changes button.
- Then users can generate an app password by clicking the Google Account avatar at the top right of Gmail.
- Click the Google Account button.
- Click Security on the left of the Google page that opens.
- Then click App Passwords.
- On the App Passwords page, click Select app to select Mail.
- Next, click the Select Device drop-down menu to select Windows Computer.
- Then press the Generate button.
- Thereafter, users will see a 16 digit password appear within a yellow box. Note down that password, or copy it with the Ctrl + C hotkey.
- Click the Done button.
- Now users can enter that 16 digit password to connect Outlook with Gmail. Open Outlook, click File, and select the Add Account option.
- Enter the Gmail email address you’re trying to connect with.
- Select the Let me set up my account manually option, and press the Connect button.
- Select the IMAP option to choose an account type.
- Click Next on the IMAP account settings section. Then enter the new 16-digit app password, and click Connect.
3. Try using a web version or Gmail
If you keep getting this error, try accessing Gmail with your web browser as a workaround.
You can use any browser you want for this purpose, but we suggest using UR Browser since it’s secure and privacy-oriented.
So, there are a couple of ways users can fix Outlook’s repeating password error to connect with Gmail accounts. Thereafter, users can open their Gmail emails in Outlook without any login prompts popping up.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Full Fix: Enter network password message keeps popping up in Outlook
- FIX: Error 78754 (Failure) when logging in to Gmail on Outlook