- Gmail is the most popular email service in the world with over 1 billion active users.
- Google's email service packs plenty of useful features such as 15GB of free storage, malware and phishing protection, and more.
- If you're interested in browsers look no further than our Browsers Hub.
- We've written a plethora of articles about email. Check them out on our E-mail page.
A Gmail account is, in fact, a Google Account as users receive their Gmail email addresses when they’ve set up Google Accounts.
So, users can’t log in to Google when they can’t log in to Gmail via that service’s login page.
Some users’ browsers might also display error messages when they try to log in to Gmail. These are a few potential fixes for Gmail accounts that don’t sign in.
Why can’t I log into my Gmail account and how to fix it?
1. Try a different browser
If you keep having this issue, try opening Gmail in a different browser. We strongly suggest Opera which is a lot safer and less prone to any possible errors.
This is an overall better browser, and it comes with tracking protection. In addition, there’s a built-in ad blocker which clears any distraction out of the way.
The key advantage over many other browsers is the built-in free VPN f0r extra security and complete privacy protection.
For those unaware, a virtual private network reroutes all your Internet traffic through other safe servers around the world, concealing your identity on the web and even from your ISP.
Try Opera and its cool user interface for free to convince yourself.
OperaAvoid any possible errors by switching your browser to Opera. It’s fast, ad free, and protects your privacy with the free, built-in VPN.
2. Switch to a third-party e-mail client
If you still have problems with your Gmail account, try to use a different e-mail client. We recommend Mailbird – Winner of Most Popular Mail Alternative 2020.
One of its most treasured advantages is the fact that it can handle multiple e-mail accounts seamlessly so you will be able to add more than Gmail to your list.
Mailbird is actually more than an e-mail client because it also allows you to integrate apps like Google Calendar and Twitter.
If you’re looking for privacy, this software encrypts in and out e-mails professionally and the messages are only stored on your computer.
MailbirdMailbird is a safe and light e-mail client that can manage many accounts seamlessly. It’s free and easy to use!
3. Is Gmail down?
The Gmail service might be down when users can’t log in to Google’s webmail. To check, open the G Suite Status Dashboard page shown in the snapshot directly below.
That page will highlight if there’s a service outage for Gmail. If the Gmail service is down, wait for Google to fix it.
4. Reset the Gmail Login
- Open the Google Account recovery page in a browser.
- Enter the Gmail email address for the account that doesn’t sign in.
- Alternatively, users can click on Forgot email if they can’t remember that.
- Users can enter a phone number associated with the email address or enter another email address (with alternative webmail) provided upon establishing the Gmail account.
- Fill out the name details.
- Click Send to receive a verification code at the alternative email address.
- Open the email sent that includes the verification code.
- Enter the verification code received, and click the Next button.
- Users can reset their Google Account passwords by clicking on the Forgot password.
5. Clear the browser data
- Clear the browser data in Chrome by pressing that browser’s Ctrl + Shift + Del hotkey.
- Click the Advanced tab on the Clear browsing data window.
- Select the All time option on the Time range drop-down menu.
- Select the Cached images and files and Cookies and other site data checkboxes.
- Click the Clear data button.
6. Reset the browser
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome button and select Settings.
- Click Advanced to expand Settings.
- Scroll down to the Restore settings option shown directly below.
- Click the Restore settings to their original defaults option, and press the Reset settings button.
- Type the following line in the browser’s URL bar and press Return:
- Press the Advanced button to extend the Settings tab.
- Click Site settings to open further options.
- Click the Blocked button to switch it to Allowed.
8. Switch to Google DNS
- Press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter network in the search box, and click on View network connections.
- Right-click the net connection on the Control Panel window and select Properties.
- Double-click the Internet Protocol Version 4 to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Use the following DNS server addresses radio button.
- Enter 126.96.36.199 in the Preferred DNS server box.
- Enter 188.8.131.52 in the Alternative DNS server box.
- Click the OK buttons.
The resolutions above will usually fix Gmail login issues. Some of those fixes might also come in handy for users who can’t log in to other Google services.
FAQ: Learn more about Gmail
- Why can’t I log into my Gmail account?
If you input your credential correctly and you have a working Internet connection, check our expert guide to fix this problem step-by-step.
- How do I fix Google sign-in problems?
- Why can’t I reset my Gmail password?
Check if the Google e-mail servers are working and check if you typed the password correctly. If your Gmail settings are out of date, use this awesome guide to fix that.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.