Fix: A network change was detected error on Windows 10
This error message will prevent you from accessing the Internet, therefore it’s crucial to know how to properly fix it.
How to fix A network change was detected error?
Google Chrome is a great browser, but many users reported A network change was detected error message when using Chrome.
Speaking of this error, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- A network change was detected err_network_changed, error 21, Google Chrome – There are various problems related to this error message, but you should be able to fix most of them by using one of our solutions.
- A network change was detected Windows 7, 8 – This error can also affect older versions of Windows, including both Windows 7 and 8. Even if you don’t use Windows 10, you should be able to apply our solutions to older versions as well.
- A network change was detected virus – Sometimes this error message can appear due to malware infection. If that happens, be sure to perform a detailed system scan and remove all malware from your PC.
- Your connection was interrupted a network change was detected – This is another message related to this error. If you encounter it, be sure to use Command Prompt to flush DNS settings.
Solution 1 – Check your PC for malware
If you’re getting A network change was detected error, the problem might be related to a malware infection. To fix the issue, you need to perform a full system scan.
There are many great antivirus tools that can help you with that, but if you’re looking for a new antivirus, you should consider BullGuard. This tool offers great protection and it should be able to fix your problem.
Solution 2 – Restart your modem
One of the simplest solutions is to restart your modem and check if that fixes the problem. Sometimes your modem or computer configuration might not be correct, and that can prevent you from accessing the Internet.
To fix that simply press the power button on your modem to turn it off. Wait for 30 seconds and press the power button to turn it back on again. After turning on your modem check if the issue is resolved.
Many network errors can occur when your computer has been infected by some malware. We recommend downloading and installing Cyberghost (currently 77% off). It hides your IP and keeps your personal data away from thieves and establishes a shield so you can surf the web while being secured.
Solution 3 – Flush the DNS settings
Another way to fix ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED error in Google Chrome is to use flushdns command. To do that follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard to open Power User Menu. Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
- When Command Prompt opens enter ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
- After you get the message that the DNS was flushed close Command Prompt and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 4 – Reset IP/TCP
You can also fix A network change was detected error by resetting IP/TCP. This is a rather simple procedure and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- When Command Prompt opens enter the following lines:
- Close Command Prompt and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 5 – Use Google’s Public DNS
If you have problems with the default DNS server, that can lead to certain issues such as A network change was detected.
To fix this problem, users are suggesting to use Google’s Public DNS. To change your default DNS server do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X and select Network Connections.
- Select Change adapter options.
- When Network Connections window opens, locate your current connection, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses option and enter the following values:
- Preferred DNS server: 18.104.22.168
- Alternate DNS server: 22.214.171.124
- Once you’re done, click OK to save changes.
- Check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 6 – Clear browsing data in Chrome
Some users claim that you can fix ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED error by clearing the browsing data. This is a simple procedure, and to do it you need to follow these steps:
- Click the Menu icon in the top right corner and choose Settings.
- Click Advanced.
- Go to Privacy section and click Clear browsing data button.
- Set Time range to All time and check all options. Now click Clear data button.
Solution 7 – Remove or reinstall your VPN software
If you have any VPN software on your PC, we recommend that you remove it and check if that fixes the problem. If removing the VPN software fixes this error, you can reinstall it and check if the problem appears again.
Solution 8 – Try other browsers
If you’re getting A network change was detected error in Google Chrome, you might want to try a different browser.
If this issue appears in other browsers as well, it might be that your network configuration is not correct or that your network adapter driver is outdated.
We strongly recommend this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 9 – Disable Energy Efficient Ethernet feature
According to users, sometimes this message can appear due to Energy Efficient Ethernet feature.
Your device might not fully support this feature, and that can lead to various problems. However, you can disable this feature by doing the following:
- Open Device Manager.
- Locate your network adapter on the list and double-click it.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab and select Energy Efficient Ethernet option from the list of properties. Now set it to Disabled and click OK to save changes.
After doing that, check if the problem is resolved. If you don’t have Energy Efficient Ethernet option available, then this solution doesn’t apply to you and you can just skip it.
Solution 10 – Reinstall Google Chrome
A network change was detected message usually appears in Google Chrome, and if you’re constantly getting this error, you might be able to solve it simply by reinstalling Google Chrome. There are several ways to remove Chrome, but the best one is to use uninstaller software.
If you’re not familiar, uninstaller software can remove any application from your PC, along with any leftover files and registry entries associated with that application.
By using one of these tools, you’ll ensure that the application is completely removed from your PC.
Once you uninstall Chrome, install it again and check if the issue still appears.
Solution 11 – Disable prediction services in Chrome
Sometimes certain Google Chrome features can lead to this error, and in order to fix it, you need to find and disable these features. This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Google Chrome and navigate to the Settings page.
- Scroll all the way down and click on Advanced.
- Now you should see two Use a prediction service… options. Disable them both.
Once you disable both these features, the problem should be completely resolved. Keep in mind that by disabling these features certain websites might load a bit slower.
Solution 12 – Don’t use both Ethernet and Wi-Fi on a single device
According to users, A network change was detected error can appear if you’re using both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection on your PC at the same time.
This can lead to other issues besides this one, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised to use just Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Speaking of Ethernet, be wise and choose the best adapters on the market!
Simply disable one network on your PC, and the problem should be completely resolved.
Solution 13 – Don’t use Google’s IPv6 DNS
While Google’s DNS can sometimes fix your problems, many users reported that IPv6 version of Google’s DNS caused this error on their PC. However, you can fix this issue simply by following these steps:
- Follow Steps 1-2 from Solution 4.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP /IPv6) and click Properties.
- When Properties window opens, select Obtain DNS server address automatically and click OK to save changes.
After making these changes, the issue should be resolved and you should be able to visit any website without problems.
A network change was detected error in Chrome will prevent you from accessing the Internet, and since this error can be caused by network configuration or by a bug in Google Chrome, sometimes it might not be easy to fix it.
Nevertheless, we hope that you managed to fix this error after using one of our solutions. If not, change your browser.
As it happens, we have the best option for you: UR browser, a fast, reliable, privacy-oriented tool that will keep you away from all the issues and worries regarding your privacy. Read our review to learn more!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: ‘Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing’ on Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 Can’t Connect To This Network
- Fix: Broadcom WiFi Can’t Find Wireless Networks
- How to Rename a Network in Windows 10
- Fix: Wireless Network Shows ‘Not Connected’ but Internet Works
Microsoft Outlook 2016 does not support manual setup for an Exchange account directly from the add accounts interface. The add account now has only two […]
To prevent fraud and protect children from the online threat Xbox allows the parents to create Child account with restrictions. However, the parents can share […]
Recently, it has been revealed that Microsoft contractors are listening to users through Cortana and Skype Translator. This piece of information created a lot of […]