- The MS installer can get stuck at the We’re getting things ready message for some users.
- To start fixing this pesky issue, run the Office installer as an administrator, and follow the next steps.
- You can check out more troubleshooting articles by exploring our How-to Microsoft Office section.
- Our detailed Fix Hub includes lots more troubleshooting guides for a plethora of software.
Some users have posted on Microsoft’s forum about an issue in which the Office installer gets stuck at the We’re getting things ready message.
Consequently, those users can’t install Office 365 when that happens.
Here is what one user had to say about this annoying issue on the Microsoft Answers forums:
I activated my Office 365 Home Subscription and clicked the install button on the page. It downloaded an .exe file, and so I clicked it. Then an orange box popped up saying We’re getting things ready, and it has been like this for 30 minutes. What do I do?
This guide will cover all the possible variations of this error, and you will be able to fix it fast. Read on to find out more.
How do I fix the We’re getting things ready Office error?
1. Run the Office installer as administrator
This is a straightforward resolution that numerous users have confirmed fixes the We’re getting thing ready error.
Simply right-click the Office installer.exe and click the Run as administrator option.
2. Run the installer in compatibility mode
- Right-click the setup file for Microsoft Office and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box next to the Run this program in compatibility option.
- Select Windows 8 on the platform drop-down menu (if you’re utilizing Windows 10).
- Then select the Run this program as administrator option.
- Click the Apply option.
- Select OK to close the window.
3. Uninstall other installations of Office
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut, which will open Run.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Open box and press Enter to open Programs and Features.
- Select the Office software listed in Programs and Features.
- Click Uninstall to remove the software.
- Restart Windows.
4. Delete Office registry keys
- Type Regedit in the Rundialog box, and press the OK button.
- Back up your registry before proceeding. Alternatively, you can set up a System Restore point.
- Next, open this registry key:
- Right-click the Office key to select Delete.
- Browse to this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > AppVISV
- Delete the AppVISV key.
- Navigate to this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Office > ClickToRun
- Delete the ClickToRun key.
A lot of users have fixed the We’re getting things ready error with the above resolutions.
Feel free to let us know if this guide has resolved your problem by leaving a comment in the section below.
FAQ: Learn more about the Office We’re getting things ready error
- Does the We’re getting things ready error arise for specific Office versions?
The error can arise for Office versions from 2007-2019 along with 365. To resolve this, follow the steps described in this thorough guide.
- Are there any Microsoft utilities that might help fix the issue?
Yes, the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant is one utility that might come in handy for fixing the install error.
- Is there a Microsoft utility I can uninstall Office with?
Yes, you can thoroughly remove Office software with the Microsoft Office Removal Tool.