- If MS Office is stuck at We’re getting things ready message, it might be due to your privileges.
- Compatibility issues can also cause this problem, so be sure to adjust your settings accordingly.
- Previous Office installations are known to cause problems, so it's advised to remove them.
Some users have posted on Microsoft’s forum about an issue in which the Office installer gets stuck at the We’re getting things ready message.
Consequently, those users can’t install Office 365 when that happens. Here is what one user had to say about this annoying issue on the Microsoft Answers forums:
I activated my Office 365 Home Subscription and clicked the install button on the page. It downloaded an .exe file, and so I clicked it. Then an orange box popped up saying We’re getting things ready, and it has been like this for 30 minutes. What do I do?
This guide will cover all the possible variations of this error, and you will be able to fix it fast. Read on to find out more.
Why is my Office installation stuck?
In case your installation gets stuck on We’re getting things ready, the issue is most likely the lack of necessary privileges.
Installing the software requires you to have administrative rights, and if you don’t, you might encounter issues such as this one on your PC.
In addition to the necessary privileges, you might have to run the setup in compatibility mode to install it. It’s also possible that other applications are interfering with the process.
If you have any older versions of Office installed, it’s advised to remove them before trying to install the new version.
How do I fix the We’re getting things ready Office error on Windows 10 & 11?
1. Run the Office installer as administrator
- Locate the setup file and right-click it.
- Now choose Run as administrator.
- The installation should now be able to complete without issues.
2. Run the installer in compatibility mode
- Right-click the setup file for Microsoft Office and select Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box next to the Run this program in compatibility option. Select Windows 8 on the platform drop-down menu.
- Then select the Run this program as administrator option. Click the Apply and then OK.
3. Uninstall other installations of Office
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut, which will open the Run dialog.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Open box and press Enter to open Programs and Features.
- Select the Office software listed in Programs and Features.
- Click Uninstall to remove the software.
- Restart Windows.
4. Delete Office registry keys
- Press Windows key + R and type regedit. Press Enter.
- Back up your registry before proceeding. Alternatively, you can create a System Restore point.
- Next, open this registry key:
- Right-click the Office key to select Delete.
- Browse to this path:
- Delete the AppVISV key.
- Navigate to this path:
- Delete the ClickToRun key.
How can I fix We’re getting things ready Office error on Windows 11?
Use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant
- Visit Microsoft Support and Recovery Assitenant download page.
- Click on Download and wait for the setup file to download.
- Start the setup file and click on Install.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup.
- Run the software and it should automatically detect any issues that you have with Office.
Expert Tip: Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken. We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Do keep in mind that other solutions from this guide also work on Windows 11, so don’t be hesitant to try them.
Is Microsoft Office free?
No, Microsoft Office is proprietary software, and to use it, you need to obtain a license. However, if you’re a student, you might be eligible for a free version of Microsoft Office Education.
Alternatively, you can use the web version of Microsoft Office. It has almost all the features of the desktop version, and it works in any web browser.
What are Microsoft Office alternatives?
Microsoft Office is the most popular and arguably the best office suite, but it’s not the only one. Many applications can do the same job, and most of them are available for free.
Most of these applications are fully compatible with Office files, so you won’t have any issues while using them. To learn more, check our Microsoft Office alternatives guide.
A lot of users have fixed the We’re getting things ready error with the above resolutions, so we encourage you to try them all.
In case you’re still having problems, visit our Office 2016 won’t install on Windows 10 & 11 guide, for more useful solutions.
Feel free to let us know if this guide has resolved your problem by leaving a comment in the section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The error can arise for Office versions from 2007-2019 along with 365. To resolve this, follow the steps described in this thorough guide.
Yes, the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant is one utility that might come in handy for fixing the install error.
Yes, you can thoroughly remove Office software with the Microsoft Office Removal Tool.