If you’re looking for a simple solution for opening firewall ports in Windows 10, you’ll find all the necessary details in this article.
Opening Firewall ports allows apps and programs to communicate with the network. So, if some of your apps and programs fail to launch, opening firewall ports is one of the first troubleshooting solutions that you can use.
How do I open a port on my firewall?
Users can manually allow a program to get access to the Internet by opening a firewall port. All you need to know is what port it uses and the protocol to make this function.
- Go to Control Panel> System and Security > Windows Firewall.
- Go to Advanced settings
- Right-click Inbound Rules > select New Rule.
- Add the port you want to open > click Next.
- Add the TCP or UDP protocol and the port number into the next window > click Next.
- Select Allow the connection > hit Next.
- Select the network type > click Next.
- Name the rule > click Finish.
These are all the necessary steps for opening a port in Windows 10. Remember that you can also use this method for blocking programs or ports.
Why should I use a Firewall on my PC?
Firewalls are targeted at protecting your network from various threats coming from outside and trying to get in or threats coming from inside trying to get out. A threat does this by blocking network-enabled ports.
Every time a program tries to communicate through this port, the firewall verifies its database rules to check if it is allowed or not. If it doesn’t know, it will ask the user and that’s why you sometimes see a prompt asking you if a certain program is allowed or not to access the Internet.
A firewall is an essential issue regarding computing and every PC must have one installed. This is the reason for which Windows has a firewall bundled and active as standard.
Windows firewall must occasionally be told to allow a program communicate with the network and this is the point where opening ports step into the picture.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 9 best antivirus with firewall for enhanced protection
- VPN got blocked by Windows firewall? Here’s how to fix it
- This firewall can block facial recognition protecting your privacy
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.