If you’re looking for a simple solution for opening firewall ports in Windows 10, you’ll find all the necessary details in this article.
How to open firewall ports in Windows 10
Users can manually allow a program to get access to the Internet by opening a firewall port. All you need to know is what port it uses and the protocol to make this function.
- Go to Control Panel> System and Security > Windows Firewall.
- Go to Advanced settings > right-click Inbound Rules > select New Rule.
- Add the port you want to open > click Next.
- Add the TCP or UDP protocol and the port number into the next window > click Next.
- Select Allow the connection > hit Next.
- Select the network type > click Next.
- Name the rule > click Finish.
These are all the necessary steps for opening a port in Windows 10. Remember that you can also use these for blocking programs or ports.
Firewalls are targeted at protecting a network from various threats coming from outside and trying to get in or threats coming from inside trying to get out. A threat does this by blocking network-enabled ports. Every time a program tries to communicate through this port, the firewall verifies its database rules to check if it is allowed or not. If it doesn’t know, it will ask the user and that’s why you sometimes see a prompt asking you if a certain program is allowed or not to access the Internet.
A firewall is an essential issue regarding computing and every PC must have one installed. This is the reason for which Windows has a firewall bundled and active as standard. Windows firewall must occasionally be told to allow a program communicate with the network and this is the point where opening ports step into the picture.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Adobe Experience Design now supports layers in Windows 10
- Windows 10 now floods your desktop with emojis
- Firewall App Blocker for Windows 10 now manages internet restrictions