Printer has a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager [FIX]
Device Manager is a Windows utility that displays PC peripherals and devices. When users see the yellow exclamation point beside their printers listed in Device Manager, it means that there’s a printer error. Thus, users can’t usually print when they see exclamation marks for their printers in Device Manager. However, an exclamation mark doesn’t make it remotely clear what printer error needs resolving.
Why is the yellow exclamation mark on a printer in Device Manager?
1. Run the Printer Troubleshooter
- The Printer troubleshooter might shed a bit of light on the printer error and provide resolutions for it. To open that troubleshooter, open the search utility with its Windows key + S hotkey.
- Then enter ‘troubleshoot’ in the text box to search for Troubleshoot settings.
- Click Troubleshoot settings to open the tab shown directly below.
- Select Printer and click the Run the troubleshooter button to launch it.
- Select the printer that needs fixing, and click the Next button.
- Thereafter, go through the troubleshooting steps provided.
2. Check the Device Status
- If the troubleshooter doesn’t provide a resolution for the printer error, users will need to check the device’s status. To do that, press the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Input ‘devmgmt.msc’ in Run and click OK to open Device Manager.
- Connect the printer with a laptop or desktop if it isn’t already.
- Then double-click print queues to expand that category.
- Right-click the printer with the exclamation mark and select Properties. The Properties option opens the window shown below.
- The General tab on that window includes the Device status box that will state something like, Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 31).” Note down the error code included within that status box.
- Press the OK button.
3. Manually Reinstall the Printer’s Driver
- Reinstalling device drivers is among the most widely cited resolutions for Device Manager error codes, such as codes 32, 40, 41, 43, etc. To manually reinstall the printer’s driver, press the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Then click Device Manager on the menu to open it.
- Double-click Print queue to expand it.
- Right-click the printer with the exclamation mark to select the Uninstall device option.
- Then click Uninstall to provide further confirmation.
- After uninstalling the printer driver, click Action to open that menu.
- Select the Scan for hardware changes option.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- SATA Controller displays a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager
- AMD Graphics Card is not Recognized in Device Manager [FIX]
- My printer does not print the whole page [EXPERT FIX]
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]