You can lose your photos due to accidental deletion, data corruption or device formatting. Regardless of the cause, it’s still an excruciating and terrible feeling to lose great memories.
Usually, the camera’s memory cards are the most common storage media for pictures, and they’re the ones that suffer data loss most of the times. Fortunately, there are lots of photo recovery programs available out there that can help you get back your digital data.
How does the accidental deletion occur?
Most digital cameras and mobile phones come with an SD card to save photos and other data on them. An SD’s capacity is limited, and it will get full very quickly.
In such a case, you have to transfer your pictures, and other data that you might have there to another place or you have to delete unnecessary data in your SD to make room for more.
Mistaken deletion is a frequent issue and users must have options to recover their deleted pictures from their SD cards.
An important aspect that is worth remembering is that whenever you format a device or delete any pictures from your camera or any other digital storage media, the link to the photo is removed, but the actual data will still be kept.
You will be able to recover it if it hasn’t been replaced with new data. Photo recovery software usually works on physically available data. Here are the best five tools for recovering your pictures from an SD card.
Recover deleted pictures from an SD card with these tools
Any Data Recovery is developed by Tenorshare, and this is one of the best SD card data recovery software on the market, and thousands of users currently trust it.
The software can easily wizard users to recover their photos and more documents from all kinds of storage media including SD cards.
There are more than 500 file types that can be recovered with this program. Here are the most notable features of Any Data Recovery:
- You can retrieve pictures that have been lost due to wrong deletion, virus infections or power failure.
- You have the ability to restore formatted SD files due to mistaken formatting.
- You can recover photos from formatted damaged, defective, and unreadable SD cards.
- The tool provides users two ways of recovering photos, just to make sure that there’s 100% success of photo recovery.
- You will be able to preview the lost data before you decided to recover it.
- Any Data Recovery Pro provides support to all popular SD cards, like Sandisk Extreme Pro, Lexar Professional 600x, Verbatim, Premium UHS-I, PNY Pro-Elite Plus, Kingston Technology Ultimate XX, Samsung SDHC Pro, etc.
ALSO READ: Top 11 file recovery software for PC
Wondershare data recovery is quite a comprehensive software that provides users with a chance of getting back their deleted/lost photos and more data.
The tool is efficient, and it takes pride in its ability to restore the files which were damaged by viruses, accidental delete, formatting, or power failure. Here are its most significant features:
- The tool is perfectly designed to fit both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- The tool is suitable for lots of types of electronic devices from flash drives, hard drives, and memory cards.
- The program can retrieve a vast variety of file types without any difficulties.
- The software offers users lots of options for recovering their lost pictures and more files.
- It can recover pictures lost due to accidental delete, inaccessibility, improper partition or partition error, unexpected power off, virus damage, formatted device, factory reset without backup, and reinstalled Windows or hard disk crash.
3. iCare Data Recovery
iCare Data Recovery is a risk-free data recovery program that is able to recover deleted photos and more files from various types of storage media including digital camera SD cards, USB drives, removable hard drives, hard drives. Take a look at the essential features of the software:
- The program supports a variety of file types including pictures, videos, documents, audio files, emails and so on.
- You will be able to recover any type of storage media that can be used on a Windows system.
- The tool does a perfect job of recovering photos from corrupted SD cards.
- This read-only data recovering software will not damage your device.
This is another excellent tool for recovering your lost photos, and we’ll list some of its best and useful features below:
- It supports every type of SD cards including SDHC, SDXC), MMC card, xD-Picture Card, CF card.
- The supported types of operating systems include Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
- You will be able to restore your photos with purely original quality.
- The tool provides the opportunity for restoring files in batch.
- 4Card Data Recovery software is efficient and easy to use.
- You are provided a preview of the files that you plan on recovering.
- The tool lets you retrieve lost photos from in a group.
This tool helps you recover your lost pictures from an SD card, and it supports both Mac and Windows operating systems.
Take a look at its most notable features that will help you get the job done flawlessly:
- The software involves a quick process with only three steps to get your pictures recovered.
- The tool supports more file types including photos, audio, videos, documents, and emails.
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free provides two scanning modes: the quick scanning to look for deleted files and the in-depth scanning look for formatted, lost or inaccessible photos and more data.
- The tool also provides an efficient preview that shows an insight into the recoverable files.
- The recovery process can be paused and continued flexibly.
- The scanning results can be saved and kept for future reference in case you will need then later.
- The tool has an interactive and user-friendly interface.
All these five tools that we presented above are capable of covering all kinds of issues and bring back your lost or deleted photos from an SD card and more devices.
But, meanwhile, you also have more options to choose from if you want to recover your lost pictures from an SD card and we’ll list them below.
General tips for recovering deleted photos from an SD card
If you have just deleted a crucial batch of pictures from your memory card, don’t despair because there are ways for undeleting them. First, you will need a card reader, a PC, the memory card itself and a bit of patience. Arm yourself with all these things then follow the steps below:
- Don’t do anything to your memory card once you have realized that your images have been deleted. By “don’t do anything” we mean do not take any more photos on the card and remove it from your camera immediately. Do not format it before restoring your lost photos.
- Select your favorite recovery software. You have the five options that we listed above.
- Install and set up any of these photo recovery software and choose the type of files you want to recover. In our case, it’s photos, of course. Follow the steps required to complete the operation. There will be different steps that you will need to follow depending on the software you chose to use.
- In the end, check the files that have been recovered to make sure that everything is there.
- Do not forget to back up your pictures this time to prevent anything like this from happening again.
Tips for keeping your memory cards as healthy as possible
Memory cards are resilient, but there are a few things that you can do, and a few precautions that you can take that will save you a lot of headaches. Here are also some tips for keeping your memory cards healthy:
- You should always format the card in the camera. You have to perform a format regularly.
- Never remove the card from the camera while data is still being transferred.
- Always turn the camera off before removing the card.
- Have a backup card just in case something terrible happens.
What can you do if the SD card doesn’t mount?
Sometimes, your memory card might not show up in your filesystem. There are various reasons for which such a thing might happen.
The obvious troubleshooting tips include taking the card out of your PC and rebooting the system. You also have to make sure that the card reader is compatible with the kind of memory card that you are using. For example, if you have a card reader that is only compatible with SDHC it will not read SDXC cards. A CompactFlash reader will not read a CFAST 2.0 card.
We hope that all these tips for preventing your photos from getting lost and our solutions and tools for recovering your lost/deleted photos will come in handy whenever something like this happens to you.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 7 best caller ID apps to find out who’s been calling you
- 10 best portable SSDs with USB type-C support