- If you're looking to remove the background from images in Photoshop, Canva, PowerPoint, Google Slides and other editing apps this article will present you how to do this
- Choosing one from the below tools will be useful as well for the begginers as for the advanced photo editing specialists
- Editing images becomes more fun when you choose a suitable software that will help to glam photos by yourself
- This article represents a guide that is part of our Digital Photo Software hub where we list how to best edit images, manage and organize your media and how to share your photos
Background image removal is a complex task. If you’re not an expert and you don’t want to outsource the job to one, you can install a dedicated software for removing background from images.
What are the best tools to remove the background from images?
Adobe Photoshop (recommended)
Adobe Photoshop is a powerful image editing tool that allows you to create literally anything you can imagine. You can use this extremely versatile tool to enhance your photos and create true masterpieces.
Photoshop can also remove background from pictures. You can then leave the image as it is or add a new background.
Working with surgeon precision, this software removes background in less than two minutes. Here’s how to remove background in Photoshop:
- First, open the respective image file.
- Zoom in for a more accurate selection > right-click the Background layer > select the “Layer from background” option.
- Select the “Quick selection” tool > select the background. You can adjust your selection by clicking the “Substract from selection” brush.
- Right-click the image and choose “Select Inverse” > select Revine Edge to refine the edges of the image.
- Adjust the edges until you’re satisfied with the result > save your picture.
⇒ Get now Adobe Photoshop free
Corel Photo Paint
Corel Photo Paint is a powerful RAW image editor that you can use to add a series of effects to your photos, as well as retouch or enhance your pictures.
You can also use this software to remove background thanks to its dedicated “Cutout Lab” feature. This useful option allows you to cut out image areas from the surrounding background, while preserving edge details, such as hair or blurred edges.
To give you a helping hand, Corel even posted a step-by-step guide on how to do that.
Here’s how to remove background from image with Corel Photo Paint:
- Open your image file > on the Menu bar, select Image > select the Cutout Lab feature.
- Click the Highlighter tool > customize the thickness of the highlighter tool and use it to define the edge of the main object.
- Select the Inside fill tool > click inside the area that you want to remove.
Corel Photo Paint is a feature-rich tool that you can use for many image editing purposes. The software is particularly suitable for graphics designers. You can buy it for $699.00 from Corel’s official site.
Another advantage is that there is no download involved, all you need to do is upload your image to Clipping Magic’s website, select the main object and the background and that’s it.
Instead of spending a few minutes trying to carefully select the edges of your image in order to separate it from the background, you can simply mark the two areas and the algorithm takes care of the rest.
If the automatic selection is not accurate enough, you can use the scalpel for any faint edges.
Clipping Magic also offers a series of additional features and settings, allowing you to better define the image. If you’re not satisfied with the result (although we doubt it), you can always use the Undo/ Redo feature.
It is worth mentioning that you can upload and edit as many images as you like, but you need to subscribe in order to download the final result. For more information, check out Clipping Magic’s website.
As its official description says, PhotoScissors instantly removes background from your photos. PhotoScissors uses the same selection mechanism as Clipping Magic.
More specifically, you can quickly mark the area you want to preserve, as well as the areas you want to cut out and the software takes care of the rest.
If you’re not an image editing expert, PhotoScissors is the right choice for you as you don’t need any specific skills for the job.
PhotoScissors also allows you to swap background, create a collage or move objects on photos. There is no limit as to the image size. The software supports all popular graphic formats.
You can download PhotoScissors as a free trial version. After the trial version ends, the tool is available for $19.99.
GIMP is a feature-rich image editor that also support background removal. Although you’ll need a significant amount of patience to draw the edges of the image you want to keep, the result is worth the effort.
However, when it comes to background removal, this software has some limitations. If you want to remove background on a photo with a kitten, that’s going to be a very difficult, and sometimes even impossible task.
Selecting all the strands of hair sticking out is indeed a daunting task.
If you need the tool to select objects with regular edges, GIMP will help you get the job done.
If you often need a tool to remove background from images, we recommend buying a professional software such as Photoshop or Corel Photo Paint. These are feature-rich tools that you can use for other image editing tasks, as well.
On the other hand, if your background removal task is a short term one, then you can use Clipping Magic or PhotoScissors.
If you’ve used other background removal tools that you think we should add to this list, let us know in the comments below.
Also, leave there any other questions that you may have and we’ll be sure to check them out.
Remove Background From Images FAQ:
- How do I remove the white background of an image free?
There are a lot of online and free tools that can help you with removing the white background. Background Burner and Clipping Magic are two effective remover apps and you can utilize them within your browser.
- How do I remove the background from a picture for free?
Paint and Paint 3D are free and ready to go tools if you have a Windows version, so they effectively will help you to remove the background color from your images.
- Which is best photo background editor?
We recommend Adobe Photoshop for editing your images as it is a suitable tool for beginners as for professionals. It is an efficient software for removing and replacing the background.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.