- If you want to remove the background from images, here you will find the best tools to help you with that task.
- Some background removal software may require a lot of skill while other dedicated apps will do that with a single click.
- We included free and paid tools for beginner and advanced users so you will definitely find the right one for you.
Background image removal is a complex task. If you’re not an expert, and you don’t want to outsource the job to one, you can install a dedicated background removal software.
There is a wide range of photo editors that will help you perform that task but some of them require a significant level of skill.
We have listed the best background removal software on the market, so take a look at our list and take your pick according to your needs.
- What is the best background removal software?
- inPixio Photo Studio Pro 12 - Best tool for background removal
- Adobe Photoshop - Ideal for professionals
- Cutout.pro - Great for beginners
- CorelDRAW - Best tool for creative artists
- VEED.IO Background Remover - Automatic background removal
- Icons8 Background Remover - Fastest online background remover
- Remove BG - Ideal for fast background removal
- PhotoScissors - Great tool for beginners
- GIMP - Free and open-source solution
What is the best background removal software?
inPixio Photo Studio Pro 12 – Best tool for background removal
Removing the background from images is a difficult task that requires the use of software suitable for this function.
inPixio Photo Studio Pro 12 is just the tool you need! With its eraser function, you’ll be able to remove unwanted objects or people from your image while keeping the full quality.
Thanks to the background removal feature, you can now get rid of it quickly. Just upload your photo, then mark the subjects you want to keep, and that’s it!
With Photo Studio Pro 12, you can even remove the sky with a more dramatic one with just a few clicks as well.
Let’s look at some of its key features:
- Dedicated background removal feature
- Replace the sky with a more vibrant one quickly
- Very easy to use by anyone
- Produce creative montages using original stickers, objects, and backgrounds
- Cut out objects and people in your photos
- Share on Facebook and Twitter
Photo Studio Pro 12Helps you improve your photos by easily manipulating them with professional results.
Adobe Photoshop – Ideal for professionals
Adobe Photoshop is a powerful image editing tool that allows you to create literally anything you can imagine.
You can use this extremely versatile software to enhance your photos and create true masterpieces but it’s mainly dedicated to professionals.
Photoshop can also remove backgrounds from pictures. You can then leave the image as it is or add new background.
To do that, you will have to access the Layer from Background option, select the background, then use the Substract from section brush.
However, it’s not that easy if you don’t master the software, and although there is a steep learning curve for one task, Photoshop comes with a myriad of other options.
Take a look at its most important features:
- Extensive tools for creating cutouts, removing the background, and getting rid of elements from photos
- Huge collection of free graphical elements to add
- Great integration with other Adobe products
- Save your work in a plethora of formats, including vectorial
- Advanced collaboration features
Adobe PhotoshopWorking with surgeon precision, Adobe Photoshop removes the background in less than two minutes.
Cutout.pro – Great for beginners
If you’re looking for an image background remover, then this might be just what you need. The service is incredibly simple to use, you just need to upload an image from your PC, and that’s it.
The AI will process your image, and you’ll be ready to download it. Of course, you can crop an image to select the subject better. Additional adjustments are also possible with available tools.
This means that you can manually remove the background or restore certain elements that were removed by the AI. Overall, this is a great and incredibly simple service that will let you change the image background with ease.
Other great features:
- Incredibly simple to use
- Allows you to paste images from your clipboard
- Crop feature
- Ability to modify the results
Cutout.proEmbrace the AI technology of this editing tool with image or video background remover tools.
CorelDRAW – Best tool for creative artists
CorelDRAW is a powerful RAW image editor that you can use to add a series of effects to your photos, as well as retouch or enhance your pictures.
You can also use this software to remove background thanks to its dedicated Cutout Lab feature.
This useful option allows you to cut out image areas from the surrounding background, while preserving edge details, such as hair or blurred edges.
After you access the Cutout Lab option, click the Highlighter tool and define the edges of the objects you want to keep, then use the Inside fill tool to address the outside area.
CorelDRAW is a feature-rich tool that you can use for many image editing purposes. The software is particularly suitable for graphics designers.
Check out some of its key features:
- Capture and save images of your screen
- Organize and manage an extensive font library
- Create high dynamic range images with AfterShot HDR
- Ultra-fast editing
- Extensive collaboration features
CorelDRAWRemove the background and any other objects on your photos quickly and with excellent results with this complex tool.
VEED.IO Background Remover – Automatic background removal
Background Remover from VEED.IO is a free online tool that can remove the background from your photos with one click.
The usage is so simple that a kid could do a great job with it. Just add the photo from which you want to remove the background and the web app will do that automatically.
The click we mentioned above is just for downloading the result on your drive.
You may add the photo in JPG, JPEG, PNG, WEBP, and AVIF formats by just dragging and dropping it onto the designated area.
However, when you download the result, it will be a transparent PNG file.
But that’s not all! You may also change the opacity and change the background to a single color of your choice.
There’s also the option to load the image into the online editor which you may also use for free.
Take a look at its most important features:
- Supports a range of photo file formats, including JPG, JPEG, PNG, WEBP, and AVIF
- Simple, one-click download of the background removed image
- Control the transparency of your background, blur it, or replace it with a color of your choice
- Download the result conveniently as a transparent PNG file
- Access to a full-fledged photo editor
VEED.IO Background RemoverRemove the background of any photo automatically with this AI-powered free web app.
Icons8 Background Remover – Fastest online background remover
If you don’t know how to handle complicated features from a professional tool Icon8’s Background Remover web app will do the job in only one click.
The background removal software uses artificial intelligence to detect the main subject within the photo and then remove the background.
You don’t need to perform any additional work apart from uploading your photo by just dragging and dropping it into the designated area.
However, there’s a small catch. Like with any tools based on AI, for best results, your photos have to be clear and sharp, otherwise, the software may cut some less undefined parts like hair blowing in the wind, for instance.
If your photo is a bit blurry, they recommend another tool called Smart Upscaler that will improve the image definition for your shots.
Background Remover allows you to remove the backgrounds from 3 images for free. If you want to process more, you will need to create an account.
Overall, it’s a great service to remove background online, so be sure to give it a try.
Let’s go through some of its best features:
- Simple, drag-and-drop image uploading
- One-click background removal
- Processes 3 images for free
- Artificial intelligence main subject detection
- Download photos with transparent backgrounds in PNG format
Icons8 Background RemoverUse this amazing tool that will remove the background of your photos in a single-click action.
Remove BG – Ideal for fast background removal
Remove BG lets you remove background from an image for free, so it’s ideal when you need a fast background removal.
It’s really simple to use. Just upload the image, and the app will automatically detect the main subject and remove the background. You don’t even need to click on anything.
Then simply hit the Download button and you will get the result in PNG format. However, the resulting image is low resolution.
If you want to download it in HD resolution, you will need to go for a subscription, and for that, you will be able to process up to 500 images per minute, which is pretty impressive.
Of course, you can also buy only a few credits because the processing of a file will cost you 1 credit, including the download.
For when you need to perform more changes to the image, they also recommend using another of their tools called Designify.
With that app, you will also find some interesting free backgrounds to replace the ones you’ve just eliminated.
Take a look at some of its key features:
- Smart AI subject identification
- Fast results
- Removes backgrounds 100% automatically
- Erase and restore editing
- Paste image or URL option
PhotoScissors – Great tool for beginners
As its official description says, PhotoScissors instantly removes the background from your photos.
Specifically, you can quickly mark the area you want to preserve, as well as the areas you want to cut out, and the software will take care of the rest.
If you’re not an image editing expert, PhotoScissors is the right choice for you as you don’t need any specific skills for the job.
PhotoScissors also allows you to swap backgrounds, create a photo collage or move objects on photos.
There is no limit to the image size. This background removal software supports all popular graphic formats.
Let’s review some of its best features below:
- Quick and easy background removal
- No image size limit
- Basic photo editor included
- Apply effects to the new background and the resulting image
- Save your work in all popular formats
GIMP – Free and open-source solution
GIMP is a feature-rich image editor that also supports background removal and it’s free and open-source.
Although you’ll need a significant amount of patience to draw the edges of the image you want to keep, the result is worth the effort.
However, when it comes to background removal, this background removal software has some limitations.
If you want to remove the background on a photo with a kitten, that’s going to be a very difficult, and sometimes even impossible task.
Selecting all the strands of hair sticking out from a fluffy cat can be indeed a daunting task but if the objects have regular edges, GIMP will help you get the job done.
GIMP is a great software to remove background for free, but it does have a learning curve.
Check out its best features:
- Free, open-source tool
- Works on Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Supports third-party plugins
- Multi-language support such as C, C++, Perl, Python, Scheme, and more
- Great color management features
⇒ Get GIMP
What should I look for in a background removal tool?
If you often need to change the background and you need pristine results, we recommend buying professional graphics software. These are feature-rich tools that you can use for other image editing tasks, as well but you will have to go through some serious training if you’re not a professional.
On the other hand, if your background removal task is a short-term one, then you can use dedicated AI-powered apps. There are online or downloadable tools out there that will remove your background with a single click, as long as your image is sharp enough.
Here we conclude our selection of the best background removal software and we hope that you found what you were looking for.
We also recommend looking at our list including the best free photo editors because some of them come with background removal features.
If you’ve used other background removal tools that you think we should add to this list, let us know in the comments below.
Also, leave there any other questions that you may have, and we’ll be sure to check them out.