- Creating a private network (VPN) between two access points is paramount for privacy.
- For instance, you can establish VPNs between remote employees and a company network.
- Windows 10 has its own VPN functionality, but using it could be difficult for a novice.
- Check out our guide and learn how you can create a VPN between two or more PCs easily.
Creating a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between two access points is crucial for keeping activities private. If your job involves handling sensitive information within your network, it would be wise to consider using a VPN.
This solution can also facilitate the access of remote workers to your local network. After connecting to the VPN, it will appear as they are physically available in the LAN. Thus, they can access and share resources and devices on your network seamlessly.
Using any standard VPN service provider in this situation is not a viable solution. VPN software route all your traffic through a private server, but you can’t see or interact with users who are connected to the same network.
However, creating your own network can bypass this restriction. Here’s what you’ll need:
- At least two PCs (a host and the clients)
- An Internet connection for establishing the network (on all PCs)
- Each PC’s IP address and credentials for the network
If you have everything on the checklist, we’ll show you how to create the VPN.
How do I setup a VPN between two computers?
Step 1 – Access the connection setup wizard on the client PC
- Hit the Win (⊞) key on your keyboard
- Type Ethernet and select Ethernet Settings from the search results
- Click the Network and Sharing Center hyperlink
- Select the Set up a new connection or network option from the menu
Step 2 – Configure the new VPN connection you’re creating (outgoing)
- In the Internet address field type the IP address or domain name of the PC you want to connect to
- Pick a name for the new connection
- Click the Create button
Step 3 – Establish the outgoing VPN connection
- Locate the VPN connection by clicking the systray network icon
- Select it and click the Connect button
- You’ll be prompted to sign in
- Use the credentials of the PC you’re trying to connect to
Step 4 – Finishing setup on the server PC (incoming)
- Access the Network and Sharing Center like in solution 1
- Click the Change adapter settings hyperlink
- In the Network Connections window, hit the ALT key on your keyboard
- From the File menu, select New Incoming Connection
- Select the users you want to allow to connect to your PC through the VPN
- Click the Next button
- Check the Through the Internet checkbox and hit Next
- Leave everything the way it is (check the screenshot for how it should look like)
- Click Allow access
That’s it. You’ve learned how to establish a VPN connection between two computers and create a list of users that can access your network. If everything is done right, you should be able to connect to the network without any issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use a router or a switch to bring two computers on the same network. If both PCs have Wi-Fi adapters, you can use one to create a virtual hotspot, and the other one to connect to it.
Yes, there are a few ways you can do that. You can either combine two separate connections. An alternative would be to bridge them. You can find out more about combining Internet connections in our awesome article.
Yes, Windows 10 allows you to enable file sharing between two or more computers. However, you need to make sure its firewall doesn’t block it beforehand.