- Slack is a collaboration software that allows you to easily communicate with your team members.
- If links in Slack won’t open, make sure that you’re using a supported web browser. Also, try clearing the application cache.
- Your browser can also cause this problem, so be sure to use the best web browsers in order to avoid this problem.
- Slack is great productivity software, and if you want to learn more about Slack and similar software, check out our productivity software hub.
Slack is a cloud-based proprietary instant messaging platform. You can chat, send files, share images and insert hyperlinks with other users.
It is useful since it can be used for both personal use as well as work environments, and the modern UI makes it quite enjoyable. However, some users have reported having problems with Slack, as it fails to open links sent via chat.
As such, we’ve come up with this guide that may help you fix the problem of Slack not opening hyperlinks.
What can I do if Slack won’t open links?
1. Check your Internet browser
More often than naught, Slack is not the one to blame when it fails to open links, but rather the browser that you are using.
As you can see from the Slack official Homepage, Slack offers support to only the most widely-used browsers out there:
- Chrome – Version 66 or above
- Firefox – Version 60 or above
- Microsoft Edge – Version 41 or above
More so, Slack had this to say about unsupported browsers:
When a browser is no longer supported, we stop fixing pesky bugs and issues. For a customer, that could be a terrible Slack experience! We do our best to avoid that scenario by blocking unsupported browsers from accessing Slack.
2. Clear application cache
Slack client for Desktop
- Open Slack
- Click on the Menu in the top left corner
- Choose Help
- Select Troubleshooting
- Click Clear Cache and Restart
Slack UWP from Microsoft Store
- Open Start
- Right-click on the Slack app
- Choose More
- Go to App settings
- Select Repair and, if it doesn’t work, try a Reset option
- Press the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click on Show advanced settings.
- In the Privacy section click the Clear browsing data button.
- In the Time range field, choose All time. Check Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files. Now click on Clear browsing data button.
- Wait while Chrome removes the selected data and restart your browser.
After clearing the cache, check if Slack still has problems while opening links.
Did you find this guide helpful? Share your opinions with us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Slack
- Can I hyperlink in Slack?
To create hyperlinks in Slack, just select the desired text and click the link icon or use the Ctrl + Shift + U shortcut.
- Can’t open links from Slack?
If you can’t open links from Slack, make sure that you’re using a supported browser. Also, try clearing the application and browser cache.
- Is Slack secure?
Yes, Slack is secure to use. However, there were two hacking incidents, in 2015 and 2017, but Slack has fixed those security vulnerabilities.
- What is the best way to use Slack?
The best way to use Slack is to divide your team members into different channels in order to communicate and organize better.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2019 and was revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.