Windows tends to break down over time and stop working at the best possible speed. It’s not due to hardware issues but because your computer gets cluttered with all kinds of files and leftovers caused by program removals.
When this happens, it’s usually a good excuse to reinstall Windows or restore a system backup. However, you should first consider using a system optimizer since it might yield results faster.
There are several software applications that promise to get your PC in shape by clearing junk files, fixing errors, and making various tweaks. And one of them is AVG TuneUp.
- Good-looking interface with self-explanatory options
- Straightforward cleanup and optimization features
- Automatic maintenance tasks after customizing content types
- Back up and restore data
- Review analysis results before greenlighting tasks
- The free trial is practically unusable
- Too expensive for what it offers
- High CPU and RAM usage by just keeping the UI on screen
- Some users reported issues with the sleep mode for programs
Made a professional-grade system optimization tool, AVG TuneUp promises to take care of your computer and slim it down by removing useless files, fixing various issues, and ultimately enhancing the overall performance of your system.
Borrowing the tactics of its colleague, AVG Antivirus, TuneUp offers to run an initial scan on your hard drive as soon as you finish its installation, in order to figure out how it may lend its services. All troubles will be immediately erased within a couple of clicks.
Before finding out our final verdict for AVG TuneUp, you should check out its system requirements, editions, installation, interface, and feature set.
AVG TuneUp system requirements
To run this cleanup and optimization program, make sure your system meets these requirements:
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 SP1 or better (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 7 SP0, Vista, XP are supported but without bug fixes, updates, new features
- At least Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64, or equivalent processor
- 256 Mb RAM or more
- Minimum 300 Mb HDD free space
- At least 800 x 600 px standard screen resolution
AVG TuneUp free
AVG TuneUp is a premium application that you can test for 30 days at zero costs. And, if you are willing to enter your credit card details or submit your Paypal account, you can extend the trial for a total of 60 days (the billing is automatic unless you cancel before the 60 days are up).
Either way, premium users can take advantage of a 30-days money-back guarantee, along with live phone and chat support. Subscription plans can be purchased for one or two years, which involve unlimited PC installations connected to the same AVG account.
How to install AVG TuneUp
Setting up AVG TuneUp on your PC is an easy task, thanks to the familiar wizard. You can pick the installer language and modify the default setup folder. As soon as the installation is done, you can launch the application and reach its main window right away.
As far as the graphical interface is concerned, AVG TuneUp has a dark theme and clear-cut structure. It’s evident that it focuses on delivering an intuitive user experience for system optimization and tweaking, and we think it nails it.
From the main window, you can run maintenance tasks, speed up the system by optimizing various parts of Windows, free up disk space, and resolve errors. All functions can be accessed from a floating menu on the right side, along with statistics and the rescue center.
AVG TuneUp – decent system optimizer
On paper, AVG TuneUP seems like a brilliant software solution for getting your computer in shape. Delivered in an elegant graphical interface, it carefully words feature descriptions to make you understand how it operates and how much disk space it recovers by deleting junk.
Regrettably, the demo edition doesn’t let you evaluate any components thoroughly to prove that it works. Some might say this shouldn’t be put up to debate, given AVG‘s reputation.
But we distinctly remember an impressive AVG PC TuneUp version 14 with an outstanding lineup of cleanup, tweaking, optimization, and PC repair tools – everything unlocked during a 15-days free trial (same price as today). The legacy options found in the current AVG TuneUp are only a taste of what it used to be.
AVG TuneUp FAQ
- Is AVG TuneUp free?
No, AVG TuneUp is not free. Although it comes with a free 30-days trial, AVG TuneUp doesn’t allow you to carry out any tasks beyond analysis.
- How to use AVG TuneUp?
To clean up your system and optimize performance without modifying the default AVG TuneUp configuration, click the big Maintenance button in the main window, wait for the scan results, then click Fix & Clean.
- Is AVG TuneUp worth it?
If you feel like your old computer is just about to give up, you might want to consider revitalizing it with specialized software such as AVG TuneUp. This suite comprises a lot of tools that can breathe new life into your old computer without significant efforts.
Overview of AVG TuneUp features
- Clean up junk files like application cache, temp files, or old backups
- Clear browser data like cache, cookies, trackers, site and download history
- Fix broken shortcuts and clean registry entries
- Automatic maintenance for the three tasks above
- Uninstall programs that are poorly rated or old
- Scan drives for errors and prevent data loss using Disk Doctor
- Put background and startup applications to sleep to boost overall speed
- Bring outdated programs up to speed by updating them
- Automatic data backups for the main cleanup components
- Use AVC PC Tuneup legacy features: registry editor, file deleter, system information viewer
Under normal circumstances, we would show you the differences between what you can do with the software solution before and after buying it. But AVG TuneUp is a special case because it doesn’t let you test any functions fully during the 30-day trial, except for the legacy features. As such, we believe that calling it a free system optimization tool would be misleading.
- Software Version
- Free demo
- optimizer, tweaker