File compression is great for reducing the size of files that take up too much disk space without damaging their contents.
Effects can be best noticed when attempting to send emails with attachments. If the embedded files are too large, the email service refuses to send your message.
However, you can quickly fix this issue by packing the files into a smaller-sized archive using file compression software.
It will have a lighter footprint and trick the web service into sending your email.
But there’s one condition: the person who receives the message must use a similar software app to extract files from the archive.
What is Express Zip?
Express Zip is a file archiving tool wrapped in a user-friendly interface.
It promises superior compression and decompression speed.
For example, you can adjust multiple compression levels to gain better speed or smaller file size, depending on your priorities.
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8
- Windows 7, Vista, XP
- Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit
Can Express ZIP open RAR?
Yes, Express ZIP can open RAR files.
The fact that it can open WinRAR archives could be the application’s biggest asset.
It sets it apart from other similar software solutions since most file compression utilities can’t handle RAR archives.
How to install and use
Thanks to its small-sized package, you can quickly download the Express Zip setup file.
It gets automatically installed as soon as you accept the license terms, so it’s impossible to control the install path or desktop shortcuts.
On the bright side, it gets integrated with the Windows Explorer shell extension to help you extract files from archives or compress files into new archives from the right-click menu.
When it comes to the interface, Express Zip’s main window is not that different from other file compression utilities like 7-Zip or WinRar.
You can open archives to explore contents and pick which files you want to extract, create new archives after filling them with files and folders, as well as adjust the compression level.
Sadly, this is where the free version’s functionality ends. More options are available in the paid edition.
Is Express Zip safe?
Yes, Express Zip is 100% safe.
The software application isn’t infected with malware, so you don’t have to worry about harming your computer.
Plus, there’s no risk of losing your files during packing or unpacking since Express Zip creates copies of the original content, thus leaving it untouched.
- Easy-to-use and fast tool for zipping and unzipping
- Extract files from RAR archives
- Integrates with the right-click menu
- Adjustable compression level
- File encryption and repair
- The free version is filled with annoying popup windows
- Some options only become available after installing other tools made by the developer
- If you click such an option, you will automatically install the associated tool
Express Zip compresses files and unpacks archives at a good speed, even when setting the best compression level to reduce the file size as much as possible.
And, unsurprisingly, it doesn’t put a strain on system resources consumption.
On the downside, the free mode is almost unbearable to handle due to its constant reminders of upgrading to a paid product.
It also fails to include more features of interest, like ZIP password protection and archive splitting, which can only be used by licensed individuals.
Taking everything into account, Express Zip turns out to be an easy-to-use file compression utility that gets the job done.
Unlike other similar software solutions, this one can open RAR files, thus sparing you the trouble of installing WinRAR just for accessing RAR archives.
Alternative to Express Zip
Although Express Zip does a pretty good job at packing and unpacking files, it’s not the best out there.
If you’re interested in a superior file archiving tool, we suggest taking a look at WinZip.
Here are WinZip’s key features:
- Works with all popular archive formats
- Apply archive encryption to secure your data
- Connect with Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and others
- Access and manage files in the cloud
WinZipTry out one of the best file archiving utilities in the business at no cost.
FAQ: Learn more about Express Zip
- How do you open a ZIP file?
Right-click the ZIP archive in your file navigator to open a menu, move the mouse cursor over Express Zip to open a submenu, and select Extract Here. To extract specific files from the ZIP, open the archive in Express Zip, select the files you wish to obtain, then right-click to select Extract > Extract Selected (or press Ctrl+ Shift + E).
- How do I reduce the size of a ZIP file?
To reduce the file size of a ZIP archive with Express Zip, pick the smallest compression level (File menu > Compression Level > Smallest).
- What is the best free unzip software?
If you’re looking for the best free unzip software, we recommend starting with open-source file archivers like 7-Zip, Easy 7-Zip, PeaZip, B1 Free Archiver, and FreeArc.
Overview of Express Zip features
Open archives and extract files
- ZIP, RAR, 7Z, disc images (ISO, IMG, DMG), others
- ZIP and 7Z only
Context menu integration
- Create archives and extract files from the Explorer right-click menu
- Add new and modified files to existing archives without having to unpack and pack again
- Ranges from smallest to fastest
Quick zip tools
- Documents, music, pictures, videos
- Set password protection when creating archives with confidential files
- Send archives using your default email client
- Cut large archives into smaller parts with multi-part splitting mode
- Generate a PAR2 recovery file to repair incomplete or corrupt archives
- Transform archives into ZIP, 7Z, TGZ, WIM, TAR, ARJ, or LZH files
- Create self-extracting archives for computers that don’t have file compression tools
- Free for personal use