- Thousands of users reported error 0x87dd0006 when connecting to Xbox Live back in 2018. It seems that the error erratically pops out even today to haunt gamers.
- If you're experiencing the same problem, make sure to follow the troubleshooting steps listed in article below to solve it once and for all.
- Learn more about how to deal with all kinds of issues from our Xbox error codes dedicated page.
- Step up your game by bookmarking our extended Xbox troubleshooting hub for even more handy fixes.
Your Xbox allows you to access all sorts of online services, but unfortunately certain errors can occur once in awhile. Users reported Xbox 0x87dd0006 sign in error, and today we’re going to show you how to fix it.
As a quick reminder, in March 2018 tens of thousands of users received error 0x87dd0006 when connecting to Xbox Live. So, if you’re experiencing the same problem, follow the troubleshooting steps listed in this article.
What can I do to fix Xbox sign in error 0x87dd0006?
- Check the status of Xbox Live services
- Unplug your Ethernet cable and login offline
- Make sure that your billing information is correct
- Insert the game disc
- Delete and download your profile
- Restart your modem / router
- Update your controller
- Unplug your console
- Check your network configuration
- Update your console
- Sign out of every services and forget your Wi-Fi
1) Check the status of Xbox Live services
Xbox Live relies on certain services in order to run properly, and if one of those services isn’t running you might experience 0x87dd0006 error. If Xbox Live services are down, you’ll have to wait until Microsoft fixes this problem.
You can check Xbox Live Status using any device that has Internet access.
2) Unplug your Ethernet cable and login offline
According to some users, you might be able to fix this problem by unplugging your Ethernet cable and logging in offline. After you log in while offline, reconnect the Ethernet cable and try to log in again and the issue will hopefully be resolved.
3) Make sure that your billing information is correct
Users reported that this error can be caused by incorrect billing information. If you made any changes to your account or to your billing information, be sure to check if all entered information is correct.
You can check your billing information from any browser simply by doing the following:
- Log in to your Microsoft account.
- Go to Payment & billing section and select Billing info.
- Select Edit profile option and change the desired information.
If you can’t access your Microsoft account because it got hacked, here’s what you need to do.
You can also make changes to your billing address on your Xbox One by following these steps:
- Scroll left on the Home screen to open the Guide.
- Choose Settings > All Settings.
- In the Account section select Payment & billing.
- Choose Change billing address.
- Edit your billing information. You can skip billing information that doesn’t need editing simply by pressing the B button on your controller and choosing Next.
- After the desired information is changed, select Save info to save changes.
To change billing information on Xbox 360, you need to do the following:
- Go to Settings > Account.
- Select Manage Payment Options.
- Select the payment option that you want to update.
- Make changes to the billing information.
- After you’re done select OK to save changes.
Some users are claiming that in order to fix this error your billing information on Microsoft Live and Xbox website needs to match, therefore be sure to check the billing address on both websites.
4) Insert the game disc
Few users reported that they managed to fix this problem simply by inserting a disc into their Xbox. According to them, after inserting a disc to their console they were able to sign in without any problems, therefore you might want to try that.
If your console isn’t reading the disc, you better take a look here.
5) Delete and download your profile
Sometimes your profile can become corrupt and that can cause 0x87dd0006 error to appear. One suggested solution is to delete your profile and download it again. To do that on Xbox One, follow these steps:
- On the Home screen scroll left to open the Guide.
- Choose Settings > All Settings.
- Go to Account and choose Remove accounts.
- Select the account that you want to remove and choose the Remove option.
- After you’re done, select Close.
Now you need to add your account again by following these steps:
- Open the Guide by scrolling left on the Home screen.
- On the Sign in tab, go all the way down and select Add & manage.
- Select Add new.
- Enter your Microsoft account login information and select Enter.
- Read and accept Microsoft Service Agreement and Privacy Statement.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to configure Sign-In & Security preferences.
To delete your profile on Xbox 360, do the following:
- Go to Settings and select System.
- Choose Storage.
- If you have any external storage devices attached to your console, select All Devices. If you don’t have any external storage devices, select Hard Drive.
- Choose Profiles.
- Select the profile that you want to delete and choose the Delete option.
- Choose the Delete Profile Only option to delete your profile without deleting achievements or saved games. If you want, you can also use Delete Profile and Items option, but this option will delete both saved games and achievements from your console.
After your profile is deleted, you need to download it again by following these steps:
- Press the Guide button on your controller.
- Select the Download Profile option. If this option isn’t available, you need to be sure that you’re signed out of all Xbox profiles.
- Select the Download Profile button.
- Enter your Microsoft account login information.
- Choose the storage location for your profile and wait until your profile is downloaded.
After deleting and adding your profile again, the error should be permanently resolved. In the case that Xbox will not allow your profile, you can follow some easy steps to solve the error.
6) Restart your modem / router
Network configuration can sometimes cause this and other errors to appear, and the easiest way to fix this problem is to restart your modem. If you have a wireless router, you should restart it as well. To perform this process, follow these steps:
- Turn off your Xbox.
- Press the power button on your modem to turn it off.
- After your modem turns off, wait for 30 seconds or more.
- After that, press the power button on your modem and wait until it turns on completely.
- Turn on your Xbox and check if the error is resolved.
7) Update your controller
Few users reported that they fixed this error simply by updating their controller. This is a relatively simple procedure, and you can perform it on several different ways. To update your Xbox One controller wirelessly, follow these steps:
- Press the Menu button and select Settings.
- Select Devices & accessories.
- Select the controller that you want to update.
- Select Update option and then select Continue.
- Wait until the controller update is installed.
Keep in mind that only controllers purchased after June 2015 can install updates wirelessly. These types of controllers have a circular 3.5mm port on the bottom, and you can easily recognize them.
If your controller doesn’t support wireless updates, you’ll have to install the update using the USB cable. To do that, follow these steps:
- Connect your controller to your console using the USB cable.
- Instructions should appear now on the screen.
- If the instructions don’t appear, you need to press the Menu button and navigate to Settings > Devices & Accessories, select your controller and choose the Update option.
You can also update your controller using the PC. To update your controller you need to follow these steps:
- Download Xbox Accessories app from Windows Store.
- Start the Xbox Accessories app and connect your Xbox One Wireless Controller using the USB cable or Xbox Wireless Adapter.
- After you connect your controller, you should see Update Required message if there’s a mandatory update available.
- Install the update.
Keep in mind that you can only install the update wirelessly if your controller supports this option. If there’s no support for this option, you’ll need to use USB cable.
8) Unplug your console
According to users, you can fix this issue simply by turning off your console and unplugging the power cable. After unplugging the power cable, wait for a couple of minutes and plug it back in. After that, turn on your console and check if the problem is resolved.
9) Check your network configuration
Sometimes 0x87dd0006 error can be caused by your modem or router configuration. Users reported issues with Netgear wireless router, therefore if you’re having this problem you might want to try changing your modem / router configuration.
This is an advanced procedure, therefore be sure to check your router and modem manual before making any changes. This guide might also come in handy if you have network problems on Xbox One so make sure to check it as well.
10) Update your console
If you’re not running the latest Xbox One firmware update, this might explain why you’re getting this error code. Make sure that you regularly update your console in order to install the latest system improvements.
So, open the guide and go to Settings > All settings. Then select System > Updates > Update console and check if there are any updates ready for download.
If your update fails with an error, you can fix it by following the steps mentioned in this article.
11) Sign out of every services and forget your Wi-Fi
Some users confirmed that signing out of every account and services and then selecting the Forget Wi-Fi option fixed the problem.
Go to your settings, sign out. Of everything. Network connections, go offline. And forget your Wi-Fi connection. Then hard reset Xbox. Bam. I’m back online. Have fun everyone.
Error 0x87dd0006 can cause problems on your Xbox, but we hope that you managed to fix this issue after using one of our solutions. If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the comments section below and we’ll make sure to take a look.
FAQ: Learn more about Xbox issues
- How do I fix error 0x87dd0006?
- What do you do if your Xbox wont sign in?
Perform a hard reset of the console by holding the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off, then turn it back on the same way. You can also do this from the Power Center.
- How do I check Xbox Live status?
To check the status of Xbox Live services as well as the status of your account and other Xbox apps, go to the Xbox Live Service Status page.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.