- If your Webcam is not working when plugged into the monitor, then you are not alone as many users encounter this issue.
- In most cases, the webcam is either not placed properly, the app does not have access to the camera in privacy settings, or the camera drivers are outdated.
- Also, for the video output, the monitor has to be connected to the host laptop/PC via USB, otherwise, you may not get the desired results.
Needless to say how frustrating it can be if the webcam is not working when plugged into the monitor.
This is usually the case when you are using an external webcam and you want to attach it to the monitor.
It’s important to note here, that if the monitor has a powered USB port, you can plug in your USB camera (webcam) to it.
However, you should not expect a video output unless you are connecting the webcam to the monitor via USB. Plus, also ensure that you are routing that connection back to the host PC.
If you are looking for the best monitors with speakers and webcams, you can follow our detailed post for more info.
Can a webcam be plugged into a monitor?
Yes, a webcam can be connected to a monitor, and for this, the monitor should have either a USB type B plug, or a USB type C plug.
Next, connect the monitor to a USB hub and to the laptop simultaneously. You can then plug an external device like a webcam into the monitor.
Why is my computer not detecting my webcam?
If your webcam is not being detected by your computer, it might due to any of the below reasons:
- Missing drivers after a recent update
- Corrupt/outdated camera drivers
- The antivirus program is blocking the camera
- Camera access is disabled in privacy settings for some apps
- A glitch with the app you want to use
- The webcam is not connected or placed properly
So, if the webcam on the monitor is not working, you can follow the below troubleshooting methods to fix the issue.
How do I fix my webcam if it’s not working when plugged into my monitor?
1. Make sure the webcam is installed properly
1.1 Check if the webcam is connected properly
- Turn on your computer, and plug your webcam’s USB cable into one of the USB ports of your computer.
- The latest Windows devices should detect the webcam since the drivers are usually installed automatically.
- But, if it fails to automatically install the drivers, visit the manufacturer’s website and download & install the latest drivers.
Alternatively, you can also install the software using the CD that came with the webcam, and add more features.
1.2 Check if the webcam is placed properly
Make sure to use the webcam on top of the monitor, not the laptop. It should face you and should be at the same height as your face while in a seated position.
Webcams usually sit on the head of the monitor using an adjustable clip. It covers the back of the monitor to make sure it’s secured.
Place the webcam on top of the monitor and adjust the clamp as desired. When finished, the webcam should be pointed at your face.
2. Enable apps access to webcam
- Press the Win + I keys simultaneously to launch Windows Settings.
- Click on Privacy & security on the left.
- Next, on the right, scroll down and under App permissions, select Camera.
- Now, on the right, turn on Camera access.
- Also, turn on the Let apps access your camera option, and enable the camera access for the specific app in the list.
- You can also turn on the Let desktop apps access your camera option.
Now, go back to your webcam and check if it’s now working with the monitor.
3. Update the webcam drivers
- Right-click on Start and select Device Manager.
- Expand the Cameras section, right-click on the Integrated Webcam, and select Scan for hardware changes.
- Now, wait for Windows to scan and reinstall the updated drivers.
Once done, restart your PC, and now check if the webcam not working when plugged into the monitor issue is fixed.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system. There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
Besides, you can also disable the webcam and enable it back to check if this helps fix the webcam not working when plugged into the monitor issue.
Alternatively, you can also roll back your current drivers to the previous version, as this helps fix the webcam issue if the current drivers are corrupted.
But, if you see a black screen while using the webcam on your PC, we have some quick tips for you in this detailed post.
For any other queries on the webcam or any errors related to it, do let us know in the comments box below.