Windows 10 update error 0x8024200D [Fix]
Windows 10 and its forced Update features can occasionally do more harm than good to users. Special emphasize goes to major updates, like the previous Anniversary or current Creators update, released this month.
All of those frustrating error issues are followed by an alphanumeric code. The update error we are going to address today goes by the code 0x8024200D. There is a variety of reasons for this exact error and we’ll try to resolve them step by step. So, if you have been prompted with this error while trying to update your Windows 10, follow the instructions below.
How to fix upgrade error 0x8024200D in Windows 10
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Firstly, let’s give the Windows update troubleshooter a chance to shine and prove worthy. At least for sake of acknowledging the problem so we can know what measures to take later. You can use a built-in troubleshooter, but we advise you to download and run the special tool from Microsoft’s official site.
- Download the Windows Update troubleshooter here.
- Save the file.
- Run the troubleshooter and wait for the process to finish.
- You’ll be informed if the problem is resolved.
Uninstall peripheral drivers
Issues with Windows 10 update and legacy drivers are well-known. The conflict that may occur will not just prevent the updates, but affect system stability and eventually lead to errors and crashes. Because of that, follow these instructions:
- On Search Windows, type Create a restore point.
- Open System properties.
- In the System Protection tab, on the bottom of the list, click Create.
- Enter the description and create a restore point.
- Now, right-click Start and open Device Manager.
- Unplug all peripheral devices except the mouse and the keyboard.
- Go to their respective drivers and uninstall them one by one (printer, scanner, webcam etc.).
- Restart your PC and try updating again.
- After the update, reinstall drivers.
Sometimes, the issue might not be solved this way as the peripherals may create lots of errors when used by the system via a driver system thinks it’s good. In that case, we strongly recommend you to use a dedicated tool in order to update your drivers. Download TweakBit’s Driver Updater Tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to do it automatically and prevent the risk of downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
- ALSO READ: How to update outdated drivers in Windows 10
Uninstall third-party antivirus
The impact of third-party antimalware software on updates can be enormous. It seems that those two are not functioning well for different reasons. Firstly, your antivirus can accidentally delete or block some of the update files. Or make a conflict with Windows Defender. That battle for supremacy over your PC security can prove fatal for both updates and all-around system performance.
Because of that, we advise you to uninstall antivirus before updates and lower the chances of something going wrong. Have in mind that you can reinstall your antivirus software after the updating procedure is finished.
Use batch script to reset Windows Update components
When trying to resolve update issues, there are a few processes you’ll probably want to reset. Additionally, you’ll probably want to rename/delete the folder with update installation files. Well, you can do that manually or, thanks to the Windows enthusiasts, use the batch script file that will do it for you.
Follow these instructions to employ batch and resolve various update issues.
- Download the batch file from here.
- Save the file on the desktop.
- Right-click on batch and Run as Administrator.
- After the process is finished, try updating again.
Additionally, you can create your own batch file by following instructions in this article.
Repair corrupted files with SFC
SFC tool is one of the most valuable tools you can run in the Command prompt. Basically, it addresses all system corruptions and there so, it can fix failed update issue, as well. This tool is easy to run so follow the instructions below to launch it:
- Right-click Start and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line type sfc/scannow
- Press Enter to confirm and the process should start right away.
This will scan and fix all corrupted files. However, for specialized scan and fix tool, you should look out for DISM below.
Use DISM to repair update files
Besides the restarting the update components and SFC scan, you can also try to fix the update files corruption. And the good thing is that you don’t have to use third-party programs. DISM is a built-in tool that scans health of update files and fixes possible corruption while restoring the deleted files.
You can use DISM to repair your system update files this way.
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line type the following:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Press Enter to start the procedure.
- Wait for the process to finish and try updating again.
Perform a clean install with Media Creation Tool
Your last resort is complete reinstallation. We know that may sound like a time-consuming process but it will fix most of your issues. Since you can’t do it inside the running system, you’ll need the drive (USB stick, DVD) for installation setup files. Use Windows Media Creation tool which can be downloaded here to create the bootable drive. Backup your files from system partition and write down your license key.
With that said, we are at the end of the list. In case you have any remarks or questions, please share them with us in the comments section. We’ll be glad to help.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007001F [Fix]
- Windows 10 Update Error 0x80080008 [Fix]
- “You need to fix your Microsoft account” message on Windows 10 [Fix]
- 0xC1900101 driver errors in Windows 10 Creators Update [FIX]
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]