- There are many great web browsers on the market, but Google Chrome is definitely the most popular one.
- In today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix Could not move extension directory into profile error.
- This article is just a part of our Chrome hub, and if you want more useful guides, be sure to check it out.
- For similar guides covering other browsers, head over to our website's Browsers page.
While installing and making use of plugins in itself is pretty easy there are cases where things can get a bit ugly. The Extension error is one such case where in Chrome users are not allowed to install the browser extension.
Could not move extension directory into profile, this error message is seen while installing an extension.
It is most likely to happen when one is reinstalling an old extension. What happens, in this case, is that the browser is not able to move the extension into the profile folder.
Let’s try to resolve the problem by employing a series of troubleshooting methods.
Could not move extension directory into profile message can prevent you from installing new extensions. Speaking of this issue, here are some similar problems that users reported:
- An error has occurred could not move extension directory into profile. reload close – This issue can occur due to certain glitches in Chrome. To fix the problem, just restart Chrome or rename its Default directory.
- Google Chrome could not unzip extension – This is a similar issue, but you should be able to fix it using the solutions from this article.
- Could not move extension directory into profile – This happens when you have an extension installed, but you can’t move it to your profile
- Chrome could not move extension directory into profile – This is similar with the issue above
- Chrome could not unzip extension – This happens when you manually try to install an extension via zip files.
How can I fix the extension directory profile error?
1. Try another browser
While you are busy troubleshooting Chrome’s extension issues, you may need to use a different browser in the meantime. As such we suggest you choose Opera as an alternative.
It too is made using the Chromium engine, meaning any Chrome extension that exists is also compatible with Opera.
More so, Opera is highly customizable, allowing you to easily add and arrange the extensions in your sidebar in whatever manner you please. This ultimately makes it easy for adding and removing them to and from your profile.
OperaUse Opera and enjoy impressive UI customization features, including the ability to arrange your extensions to better suit your needs.
2. Check your antivirus
In some rare instances, it’s possible that your antivirus is causing Could not move extension directory into profile message. To fix this problem, it’s advised to disable certain antivirus features and check if that helps.
If the issue is still there, you might have to disable your antivirus altogether. In some rare cases, you might even have to remove your antivirus in order to fix this problem.
If removing the antivirus fixes the problem, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want maximum protection that won’t interfere with your browser, you should definitely try out Bullguard.
Bullguard AntivirusScan your PC and browser of any malware and make sure everything is working flawlessly with the help of this fantastic tool!
3. Restart your browser/PC
Sometimes these types of problems can appear due to temporary glitches, and one way to fix them is to simply restart your browser or your PC. If glitches occur, just restart your browser and check if that helps.
If the issue is still there, restart your PC and check if the problem is still present. This is a simple solution, but several users claim that it works, so you might want to try it out.
4. Clear your cache
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- Settings tab will now appear. Scroll all the way down and click Advanced.
- Now click Clear browsing data.
- Set Time range to All time. Now click the Clear data button.
After clearing the cache, check if the problem is still there. In addition to clearing the cache, users are suggesting to use CCleaner to remove the junk files from your PC, so you can do that as well.
Sometimes you might fix Could not move extension directory into profile error simply by clearing the cache, so be sure to try that.
4. Empty the Recycle Bin
According to users, they managed to fix Could not move extension directory into profile in their browser simply by emptying the Recycle Bin.
Several users reported that the issue was completely resolved after cleaning the Recycle Bin, so you might want to try that.
Once you clean your Recycle Bin, the issue should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to install extensions once again.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page.