- Some users reported that the Createprocess Failed Code 740 error prevents them from using certain apps in Windows 10.
- To fix this problem, you should first check that the antivirus you are using is not interfering with your system.
- You should also verify that you have sufficient privileges and run the desired application as administrator.
- Another solution is to create a new administrator account by following our step-by-step guide below.
Computer errors are a common occurrence, and Windows 10 users have reported CreateProcess Failed Code 740 error on Windows 10. So what is this error, and how can we fix it on Windows 10?
Createprocess Failed Code 740 failed message can prevent you from running certain applications, and speaking of this error, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- Unable to execute file createprocess failed code 740 – This message can appear if your antivirus interferes with your system. Simply disable your antivirus or reinstall it and the problem will be resolved.
- Error 740 the requested operation requires elevation Windows 10 – This issue can occur if you don’t have the necessary privileges to run certain applications. To fix that, simply run the application as an administrator.
- Createprocess failed code 740 Windows 10, 8, 7 – This problem can occur on any version of Windows, but you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Setup unable to execute file createprocess failed code 740 – In some cases, the application you’re trying to run might not be compatible with Windows 10, but you can fix that using the Compatibility Mode.
How do I fix the requested operation requires elevation error?
1. Check your antivirus
Having a good antivirus is important if you want to protect your PC from online threats, however, your antivirus can sometimes interfere with your system and cause various errors to occur.
Sometimes your antivirus can interfere with your applications and cause Createprocess Failed Code 740 to appear.
You want to check if your firewall is blocking some apps? Follow the simple steps from this guide to find out.
To fix this issue, it’s advised that you open your antivirus settings and disable certain antivirus features. If that doesn’t help, you might have to disable your entire antivirus or in some cases even remove your antivirus completely.
If you’re using any antivirus solution, and you want to completely remove it from your PC, be sure to use a dedicated removal tool.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution. Looking to change your antivirus to a better one? Here’s a list with our top picks.
2. Run the desired application as administrator
- Find the app that is giving you CreateProcess Failed Code 740 and right click it.
- Choose Run as administrator from the menu.
Nothing happens when you click on Run as administrator? Don’t worry, we’ve got the right fix for you.
Users report that this error occurs when you don’t have enough privileges to run the certain application on Windows 10.
If you have this error on your PC, make sure that you’re using an administrator account on Windows 10.
In addition, you can always run the desired app as an administrator in order to resolve this issue. Your application should now start without any problems.
As you can see, this is a simple workaround, but the only downside is that you’ll have to repeat this process every time you want to run that specific app.
Of course, you can set to permanently run a specific application as administrator by following these instructions:
- Locate the application that is giving you CreateProcess Failed Code 740 error and right click it.
- Choose Properties from the list.
- When Properties window opens, navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure that you check Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
After you’ve done that, the set application will always run with administrator privileges and Createprocess Failed Code 740 error will be fixed.
3. Turn off User Account Control
- Press Windows Key + S and enter user account control. Select Change User Account Control settings from the list.
- Move the slider all the way down and click the OK button.
User Account Control is designed to inform you if you’re making any changes to your computer that might require administrator privileges.
These changes include installing new software, or changing system settings.
Some users would say that disabling User Account Control comes with slight security risk because you won’t get notifications if you are installing new software or if you are making any system related changes.
Once you disable User Account Control, the issue should be resolved, and you won’t see Createprocess Failed Code 740 error anymore.
Most users don’t know what to do when the Windows key stops working. Check out this guide and be a step ahead.
4. Run the application in Compatibility mode
- Locate the application that is giving you this error, right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- When the Properties window opens, go to the Compatibility tab. Now check Run this program in compatibility mode for and select the desired version of Windows. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Sometimes Createprocess Failed Code 740 error can appear if the application you’re trying to run isn’t fully compatible with Windows 10.
However, you might be able to circumvent this issue by using the Compatibility mode feature.
In case you don’t know, Compatibility mode is a feature of Windows that allows you to run older software that isn’t usually fully compatible with Windows 10.
After making these changes, try to run the application again. If the problem still occurs, you might want to try using different compatibility settings.
5. Create a new administrator account
- Open the Settings app. You can do that by using Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When the Settings app starts, go to the Accounts section.
- Now go to Family & other people in the left pane. In the right pane, click Add someone else to this PC button.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Enter the username for the new account and click Next.
According to users, Createprocess Failed Code 740 error can appear if you don’t have the administrative privileges while trying to run a certain application.
However, you can fix that issue simply by creating a new administrative account. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following the above steps.
After doing this, you’ll create a new user account. Keep in mind that this new account doesn’t have administrative privileges yet, so you need to convert it to the administrator account.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings app > Accounts > Family & other people.
- Locate the account you just created, select it and choose Change account type.
- Set Account type to Administrator and click OK.
Now you have a new administrative account ready. Simply switch to this new account and try to run the application from there.
If this method works, you might have to move all your personal files to the new account and start using it instead of your old account.
Learn everything there is to know about the administrator account and how you can enable/disable it right here!
If the previous method seems a bit tedious, you should know that you can easily create a new administrator account using Command Prompt. To do that, just follow these simple steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Now choose Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) from the list.
- When Command Prompt opens, run the following commands:
Of course, be sure to replace WindowsReport with the desired account name that you want to use. After running these two commands, you’ll successfully create a new administrator account on your PC.
This method is designed for advanced users that have at least some experience with the command line.
If you want, you can still use the first and longer method, but if you’re in a hurry, you might want to try the second method.
6. Install the latest updates
- Open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Update & Security section.
- Now click Check for updates button.
If you keep getting Createprocess Failed Code 740 error on your PC, you might be able to fix it simply by installing the latest updates.
Microsoft is frequently releasing new updates for Windows, and if you keep having this issue, you might be able to fix it with a Windows update.
By default, Windows installs the missing updates automatically, but you can check for updates on your own by following the above steps.
Windows will now download the available updates and install them automatically in the background. Once the updates are installed, the issue should be permanently resolved.
Having trouble updating your Windows? Check out this guide that will help you solve them in no time.
The CreateProcess Failed Code 740 error affects a wide range of applications, and users have reported CreateProcess Failed Code 740 while trying to launch games such as Sleeping Dogs or CrossFire.
As you can see, this error can affect almost any installed application on your computer, and we hope that our solutions will help you fix this problem.
As always, for more suggestions and questions, reach for the comments section below.