- Performing a Windows Update and the PC starting to display errors is not what you were expecting. BSoDs are the worst because they usually cause loss of data.
- The Blue Screen of Death with the message Driver PNP Watchdog might take place during a Windows Update. That's why we recommend that you use Windows Update troubleshooter.
- You can see our troubleshooting BSoDs sections for articles on other error codes that show when a Blue Screen of Death is displayed.
- Make sure to visit the great Windows 10 Errors Hub for guides and troubleshooter on anything related to the latest Windows operating system.
How can I fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSOD error?
- Run a full system scan
- Repair PC Registry
- Run CHKDSK
- Use CCleaner
- Update system drivers
- Run Automatic Repair
- Install Microsoft Hotfix
- Run the Windows Updates troubleshooter
- Reset this PC
- Rerun Windows Update
Windows users reported getting Driver PNP Watchdog error while installing Windows updates. During the process of updating their Windows 10 OS, the update is initiated, and then freezes while displaying the BSoD with the Driver PNP Watchdog error.
Meanwhile, the reasons for this error include malware or viruses, damaged PC registry, outdated drivers, or faulty hard drive, among others.
If you are embattled with Driver PNP Watchdog error, you may not be able to install important updates because of the error. However, Windows Report will show you several methods on how to fix Driver PNP Watchdog error.
Fix: Driver PNP Watchdog error
Solution 1: Run a full system scan
Viruses and malware can cause the Driver PNP Watchdog error; therefore, you need to scan your Windows 10 PC for viruses and malware so as to remove them. You can either use Windows’ built-in antivirus Windows Defender or any third-party antivirus such as Bitdefender or BullGuard to run a full system scan.
Follow these steps to download, install, and use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner on your Windows PC:
- Download MalwarebytesAdwCleaner at the official website.
- Double-click on the download .exe file and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, right-click on the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner icon, and then select Run as administrator to open the program.
- In the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner display, click on the “Scan” button to commence the scanning operation.
- After the completed scan, click on the “Clean” button.
- Now, click “OK” when prompted to reboot your PC to complete cleaning.
Meanwhile, if you still get Driver PNP Watchdog error while running Windows update, you may proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Repair PC Registry
Due to several issues the system files may be corrupted leading to damaged Windows registry. Although, sometimes the windows registry may be bloated thereby causing Driver PNP Watchdog error.
Therefore, you need to repair your Windows registry by using System File Checker (SFC). The System File Checker utility program authenticates the veracity of all system files and fixes files with problems when possible.
Here’s how to run an SFC scan on Windows 10:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
In addition to running SFC Scan, you can also use DISM to fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem. Deployment Image Servicing and Management is a tool that is used to scan and resolve issues of corrupted system files as well.
Here’s how to run DISM in Windows:
- Press Windows key + X and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command on the command line:
- In case the DISM can’t obtain files online, try using your installation USB or DVD. Insert media and type following command:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
- Ensure you replace “C:RepairSourceWindows” path of your DVD or USB.
Note: Ensure that you replaced repair source path with your own.
Solution 3: Run CHKDSK
Some Windows 10 users were able to fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem by performing CHKDSK on your hard drive. Unwanted files or folders which occupy your disk space can cause the Driver PNP Watchdog error as well; therefore, you need to free up your hard disk.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type “command prompt” >Right-click on it, and select “Run as administrator”.
- Now, type CHKDSK C: /F.
- Then, type CHKDSK C: /R in the Command Prompt and hit Enter key.
- After the CHKDSK process finishes, restart your PC.
Solution 4: Use CCleaner
Alternatively, CCleaner can also be used to repair your Windows registry and make it error-free. Also, it comes with myriads of excellent features.
Here’s how to download, install, and use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner free version or Download CCleaner Pro version.
- Install and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, launch CCleaner, and then click on “Analyze” option.
- After CCleaner has finished scanning, click on “Run Cleaner”. Follow the prompts to enable CCleaner fix the Windows registry.
You can also use other third-party registry cleaners. For more information on the best registry cleaners to install, check out our 10 best registry cleaners for Windows 10.
Perhaps you are still getting Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD; you may proceed to the next method.
Solution 5: Update system drivers
Outdated system drivers can cause system errors and most especially Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD error. Moreover, Driver PNP Watchdog error is related to ‘driver’; therefore, you may have to update all your system drivers without using Windows Update. This is because Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem emerges while running Windows Update.
To cut a long story short, you need to use third-party programs to update your ol’ system drivers. We strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Editor’s Note: This post continues on the next page with even more ways to fix Windows 10 BSOD problems. Also, free feel to check out our wide collection of troubleshooting guides on similar topics.