FIX: Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD error on Windows PCs
How can I fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSOD error?
- Run a full system scan
- Repair PC Registry
- Run CHKDSK
- Use CCleaner
- Update system drivers
- Run Automatic Repair
- Install Microsoft Hotfix
- Run the Windows Updates troubleshooter
- Reset this PC
- Rerun Windows Update
Did you get the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) with the stop code Driver PNP Watchdog error? If so, don’t panic; this post is meant for you.
Windows users reported getting Driver PNP Watchdog error while installing Windows updates. During the process of updating their Windows 10 OS, the update is initiated, and then freezes while displaying the BSoD with the Driver PNP Watchdog error.
Meanwhile, the reasons for this error include malware or viruses, damaged PC registry, outdated drivers, or faulty hard drive, among others.
If you are embattled with Driver PNP Watchdog error, you may not be able to install important updates because of the error. However, Windows Report will show you several methods on how to fix Driver PNP Watchdog error.
Fix: Driver PNP Watchdog error
Solution 1: Run a full system scan
Viruses and malware can cause the Driver PNP Watchdog error; therefore, you need to scan your Windows 10 PC for viruses and malware so as to remove them. You can either use Windows’ built-in antivirus Windows Defender or any third-party antivirus such as Bitdefender or BullGuard to run a full system scan.
Follow these steps to download, install, and use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner on your Windows PC:
- Download MalwarebytesAdwCleaner at the official website.
- Double-click on the download .exe file and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, right-click on the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner icon, and then select “Run as administrator” to open the program.
- In the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner display, click on the “Scan” button to commence the scanning operation.
- After the completed scan, click on the “Clean” button.
- Now, click “OK” when prompted to reboot your PC to complete cleaning.
Meanwhile, if you still get Driver PNP Watchdog error while running Windows update, you may proceed to the next solution.
- READ ALSO: FIX: Windows 10 update error 0x800f0900
Solution 2: Repair PC Registry
Due to several issues the system files may be corrupted leading to damaged Windows registry. Although, sometimes the windows registry may be bloated thereby causing Driver PNP Watchdog error.
Therefore, you need to repair your Windows registry by using System File Checker (SFC). The System File Checker utility program authenticates the veracity of all system files and fixes files with problems when possible.
Here’s how to run an SFC scan on Windows 10:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
In addition to running SFC Scan, you can also use DISM to fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem. Deployment Image Servicing and Management is a tool that is used to scan and resolve issues of corrupted system files as well.
Here’s how to run DISM in Windows:
- Press Windows key + X and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command on the command line:
- In case the DISM can’t obtain files online, try using your installation USB or DVD. Insert media and type following command:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
- Ensure you replace “C:RepairSourceWindows” path of your DVD or USB.
Note: Ensure that you replaced repair source path with your own.
- READ ALSO: Fix: DISM failed on Windows 10
Solution 3: Run CHKDSK
Some Windows 10 users were able to fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem by perform CHKDSK on your hard drive. Unwanted files or folders which occupy your disk space can cause the Driver PNP Watchdog error as well; therefore, you need to free up your hard disk.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type “command prompt” >Right-click on it, and select “Run as administrator”.
- Now, type “CHKDSK C: /F”.
- Hence, type CHKDSK C: /R without quotes in the Command Prompt and hit “Enter” key.
- After CHKDSK process, restart your PC afterwards.
Solution 4: Use CCleaner
Alternatively, CCleaner can also be used to repair your Windows registry and make it error-free. Also, it comes with myriads of excellent features.
Here’s how to download, install, and use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner free version or Download CCleaner Pro version.
- Install and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, launch CCleaner, and then click on “Analyze” option.
- After CCleaner has finished scanning, click on “Run Cleaner”. Follow the prompts to enable CCleaner fix the Windows registry.
You can also use other third-party registry cleaners. For more information on the best registry cleaners to install, check out our 10 best registry cleaners for Windows 10.
Perhaps you are still getting Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD; you may proceed to the next method.
- READ ALSO: How to Clean the Windows 10/8.1 Registry
Solution 5: Update system drivers
Outdated system drivers can cause system errors and most especially Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD error. Moreover, Driver PNP Watchdog error is related to ‘driver’; therefore, you may have to update all your system drivers without using Windows Update. This is because Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem emerges while running Windows Update.
To cut a long story short, you need to use third-party programs to update your ol’ system drivers. We strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Solution 6: Run Automatic Repair
You can also fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD by performing automatic repair. However, you may need to use Windows bootable installation DVD for this purpose.
Here’s what to do:
- Insert Windows bootable installation DVD and restart your PC afterwards.
- Press any key to boot from CD or DVD when prompted to continue.
- Select your language preferences, and click “Next”.
- Click Repair your computer in the bottom-left.
- In the “choose an option” screen, Click Troubleshoot > Click Advanced option > Automatic Repair. Then, wait for the Windows Automatic to be complete.
- Restart your PC and boot to Windows.
Solution 7: Install Microsoft Hotfix
Several Windows users reported success in fixing Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD simply by installing Microsoft Hotfix as reported by some Windows users.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the Microsoft Support.
- Now, Click on Hotfix Download Available menu
- After download, Install the Hotfix by following the prompts
- Restart your PC afterwards.
Solution 8: Run the Windows Updates troubleshooter
Windows 10 OS has several troubleshooters to fix several issues. Meanwhile, for the purpose of Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem which takes place during Windows Update, we recommend that you use Windows Update troubleshooter.
The Windows Update troubleshooter, on the other hand, fixes issues arising from recent Windows updates and it’s only available on Windows 10 PCs only.
Here’s how to run the troubleshooter:
- Go to Start
- In the search field box, type ‘Troubleshooting’ without quotes
- Click Troubleshooting
- Click View all in the left pane
- Select Windows Update
- Click Next to run Windows Update Troubleshooter, then follow the instructions on the screen
If you still cannot fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem after running Windows Update troubleshooter, you may consider resetting your Windows 10 PC.
Solution 9: Reset this PC
This is an advanced recovery option which reinstates your PC to its factory state. Here’s how to reset your Windows 10 PC:
- Hard power off your PC 3 times until the Advanced Recovery environment appears.
- Choose “Advanced options”.
- Now, select Troubleshoot.
- Hence, Click “Reset this PC”
- Choose whether you want to keep or delete your files and apps.
- Click “Reset” to proceed
Solution 10: Rerun Windows Update
There are instances where Windows Update process is halted or disrupted by background process causing Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem.
Therefore, we recommend that you rerun the Windows update. In order to do this, restart your PC after getting Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD error, ensure your PC is connected to an uninterrupted power source before proceed with Windows Update.
Follow these steps to run Windows update:
- Go to Start>type ‘settings’ > launch Settings.
- Go to the Update & Security menu.
- In the Windows Update window, check for updates and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
In conclusion, all of the solutions we mentioned above can potentially fix Driver PNP Watchdog BSoD problem. Therefore, if you have any question concerning the solutions we mentioned above. Let us know by commenting below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix Windows Update errors with Microsoft’s dedicated tool
- FIX: Bitdefender won’t auto update on Windows 10
- What is Windows update error 0x80071a91? How do I fix it?
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]