How to fix common Windows 10 April Update bugs
The Windows 10 April Update is finally available for download. You can head over to Windows 10‘s official update page and download the update from there. As a quick reminder, Microsoft initially intended to roll out the Windows 10 April 2018 Update on April, 10 but frequent BSOD errors delayed the release.
Dona Sarkar’s team had some extra days at their disposal to get rid off all the bugs affecting the April Update code, but it seems that some bugs still went under the radar. Insiders already started reporting all kinds of technical issues after installing the update. For example, the Windows 10 April Update fails to install, touch keyboard is unresponsive, and so on. In this post, we’re going to list the most common Windows 10 April Update bugs reported by users so that you know what to expect in terms of problems.
Windows 10 April Update issues
1. Touch keyboards won’t work
This was actually one of the first problems reported by users after installing the latest Windows 10 version.
And busted touch keyboard! Yay, I enjoy it when basic input methods are broken!
If you’re experiencing the same problem, maybe this troubleshooting guide on how to fix on-screen keyboard will help you.
2. Windows 10 April Update won’t install
Many users are still trying to install the latest Windows 10 version on their computers. The update process goes smoothly up to a certain point but then reverts changes. Also, attempting to do a fresh install often results in “A media driver your computer needs is missing” error.
86% of final instalation after 3 or 4 restarts i get “windows is instaling previous version…”
Here are a few troubleshooting guides to help you fix Windows 10 update errors and issues:
- Quick Fix: ‘Failure Configuring Windows Updates, Reverting Changes’
- Fix: “We Couldn’t Complete the Updates/Undoing Changes” in Windows
- Windows Updates message gets your computer stuck? Here’s the fix
3. ALT+TAB is slow while gaming
Many gamers complained about slow ALT+TAB issues, especially when playing League of Legends. The good news is that you can quickly fix this problem by disabling all the options from Focus Assist. So, go to Settings > select > System > navigate to Focus Assist and disable absolutely every option and feature listed there.
4. Hard drive appears to be full
Other Windows 10 April Update users noticed that at least one of their drives appeared to be fulled when there were actually no files store there.
The other problem is more worrying, is its showing my E drive as being full but when i click on the E drive folder its showing nothing at all even though i have hidden files to be showing. Btw my E drive is the drive that is partitioned for the windows operating system.
To fix this problem, use can use Diskpart. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start Windows 10 setup using a bootable USB or DVD.
- Go to Advanced tools > select Command Prompt > enter start diskpart.
- Now enter list disk to see all the hard drives connected to your computer.
- Find the number that represents the problematic hard drive > enter select disk 1 (we used 1 as an example, so replace 1 with a number that matches your hard drive).
- Enter the following commands and hit Enter after each line:
- disk 0 clean
- disk 0 create partition primary
- disk 0 active
- disk 0 format fs=ntfs quick
- disk 0 assign
- Enter exit in order to close Command Prompt.
- Start the installation process again.
5. NVIDIA GPU settings are unavailable
If your computer is equipped with an Nvidia graphics card but you can’t find it after installing the Windows 10 April Update, rest assured, you’re not the only one experiencing this issue.
My pc just updated to the april update. But i,ve noticed a few things. First of all it seemed to remove my nvidia gpu completely which is weird. I can’t even right click on the screen where you can usually see the nvidia stuff.
You can quickly solve this problem by downloading and installing the latest Nvidia driver update (which is version 397.31 if you’re using an GeForce Experience GPU).
6. Fluent Design apps are laggy
Microsoft revamped Windows 10‘s UI using Fluent Design elements. However, sometimes Fluent Design apps can get quite laggy, as this user reports:
Open fluent design apps […] activate timeline, there will be laggy animation and also upon click the app back..even groove music (upon clicking it back only). The strange thing is when i connect to external full hd monitor and make it the only screen, the problem solved.. It was something related with very high dpi display that cause the problem
These are the most frequently encountered Windows 10 April Update issues. We’ll update this post with new bugs and bug fixes as soon as new information becomes available. If all these issues scared you, you can block the Windows 10 April Update from installing on your computer until Microsoft pushes a few hotfixes to patch all these problems.
If you’re one of the early adopters and you already installed the Windows 10 April Update on your computer, tell us more about your upgrade experience in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to download and install Windows 10 April Update
- Windows 10 April Update: Watch these videos to learn what’s new
- Download the Windows 10 April Update ISO files
Game streaming enables players to stream games from consoles so they can play them on alternative devices. Microsoft announced at E3 that its building a […]
Download Windows 10 Fall Creators Update KB4343897 Download Windows 10 Creators Update KB4343885 Download Windows 10 Anniversary Update KB4343887 If you still haven’t upgraded to the Windows 10 April Update and […]