- Finding the WiFi password on a Chromebook is not an easy job and requires some programming skills.
- First, you have to enter developer mode, and then get the password from Crosh shell. We'll show you how.
- If you want to read more stuff about this brand, go to our dedicated Chromebook section.
- This article is part of a much larger collection of informative materials that you can find in our How-To Hub.
With Chromebook, you can set the system to memorize some WiFi credentials so as to connect automatically the next time you use a specific network.
But the number of memorized connections is limited. So what you can do is to store the WiFi password somewhere. If only you knew it!
Finding out the Wi-Fi password of the connected network on a Chromebook requires some programming knowledge, but following the steps exactly as shown below might have a positive result.
How do I find the WiFi password on my Chromebook?
- Press simultaneously Esc, Refresh, and Power Button.
- Press Ctrl + D on the first screen.
- Press Enter on the second screen.
The whole process can take 10-20 minutes. Note that entering the developer mode will powerwash the Chromebook, restoring it to factory settings.
2. Get the password in Chromebook Crosh shell
- Press Ctrl+Alt+T to enter Crosh shell.
- Type the following:
- You should get a code string that you have to copy.
- Then type cd and paste the string there > Enter.
- Type more shill/shill.profile.
- Find the name of your network and somewhere below it, find the line which says Passphrase=rot47: followed by some random text.
- Decrypt the text using the following: echo > yourtexthere | tr ‘!-~’ ‘P-~!-O’.
- You will get your WiFi password.
And this is the only way to find out a WiFi password on Chromebook.
If you have any other suggestions or solutions, drop us a comment in the dedicated section below.
FAQ: Read more about connecting to the Internet on Chromebook
- How do I connect to wifi without a password on a Chromebook?
You can do this only if the network is an open one. In this case, you just have to click on the Quick Menu in the right lower corner of your screen, then click on Not connected and, from the available networks, pick the open one.
- How do I turn wifi on my Chromebook?
- Click on the Quick Menu in the bottom right corner.
- Click on No network.
- At this point, if the WiFi is off, you should see a button to Turn WiFi on…
- Then choose one of the available networks, insert credentials and connect.
- Can’t connect to WiFi on Chromebook?
There are various reasons why you can’t connect to the WiFi. It might be an issue on the side of the Internet provider, or you might not be in the range of a viable network.