- Finding the WiFi password on a Chromebook is not an easy job and requires some programming skills.
- First, you have to enter developer mode, and then get the password from Crosh shell. We'll show you how.
- If you want to read more stuff about this brand, go to our dedicated Chromebook section.
- This article is part of a much larger collection of informative materials that you can find in our How-To Hub.
With Chromebook, you can set the system to memorize some WiFi credentials so as to connect automatically the next time you use a specific network.
But the number of memorized connections is limited. So what you can do is to store the WiFi password somewhere. If only you knew it!
Finding out the Wi-Fi password of the connected network on a Chromebook requires some programming knowledge, but following the steps exactly as shown below might have a positive result.
How do I find the WiFi password on my Chromebook?
- Press simultaneously Esc, Refresh, and Power Button.
- Press Ctrl + D on the first screen.
- Press Enter on the second screen.
The whole process can take 10-20 minutes. Note that entering the developer mode will powerwash the Chromebook, restoring it to factory settings.
2. Get the password in Chromebook Crosh shell
- Press Ctrl+Alt+T to enter Crosh shell.
- Type the following:
- You should get a code string that you have to copy.
- Then type cd and paste the string there > Enter.
- Type more shill/shill.profile.
- Find the name of your network and somewhere below it, find the line which says Passphrase=rot47: followed by some random text.
- Decrypt the text using the following: echo > yourtexthere | tr ‘!-~’ ‘P-~!-O’.
- You will get your WiFi password.
And this is the only way to find out a WiFi password on Chromebook.
If you have any other suggestions or solutions, drop us a comment in the dedicated section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The only way to connect to WiFi without a password on Chromebook is to use a WiFi network that has no password set.
You have to turn on WiFi in the Quick Menu found at the bottom left of your screen.
There are various reasons why you can’t connect to the WiFi. Have a look at our thorough Chromebook WiFi issues guide.