- Google Drive is cloud storage where you can save documents, images, videos, archives, and other files too. It provides a minimum of 15 GB of storage, and you can upgrade that to one TB.
- Clone Files Checker is freeware software that enables you to quickly find and delete duplicate files from your system disk and cloud storage.
- If you want all there is to know about Google Drive, check out our extremely useful stash of articles about Google Drive.
- There's more where this guide came from. Visit our Tech tutorial hub for excellent guides about the whole computer universe.
However, Google Drive doesn’t include any options to search for duplicate files.
Duplicated files can waste quite a bit of your Google Drive storage space, so this is how you can remove them.
Clone Files Checker is freeware software that enables you to quickly find and delete duplicate files from your system disk and cloud storage.
As such, it’s a utility you can erase duplicate files from Google Drive with.
Click the Download Clone Files Checker button on the software’s home page to save its setup wizard and install it. Then you can remove duplicate files in Google Drive as follows.
- First, open Clone Files Checker and click the Cloud Scan tab at the top of its window.
- Next, press the Load Drive button and enter your Google account details. Then you can select your Google Drive folders as in the snapshot below.
- Select a drive or folder on the left of the window to scan.
- On the right, you can select All Files to scan all the files. Alternatively, select Custom to choose more specific file types to scan.
- Then press the Start Search button. A brief scan will show you duplicate files in the selected Google Drive folder as in the shot directly below.
- Now press the Select Duplicates button to open the menu directly below. That includes a few options for you to select duplicate files with such as Retain newest files in each group.
- Click an option on that menu to select duplicate files.
- Press Select Action to open the window below. Then you can select Permanent Delete to erase the selected duplicate files from Google Drive.
- You can also select a Move Items to Trash Folder check box so the duplicates can be restored. Then press Continue to delete the files.
- Open Google Drive in your browser. It will no longer include the duplicated files you deleted with Clone Files Checker.
Now you can save hundreds of megabytes of Google Drive storage. You can also scan for and delete duplicated files from your hard disk with Clone Files Checker much the same.
So Clone Files Checker is a handy utility to add to Windows.
FAQ: Read more about Google Drive
- How do I delete duplicate files in Google Drive?
You can download and install Clone Files Checker, a freeware software that enables you to quickly find and delete duplicate files from your system disk and cloud storage. Here’s a guide on how to use it properly.
- How do I clean up my Google Drive?
Go to Settings > Storage, and start deleting old or unused files. If Google Drive has slowed down your computer, check our guide to fixing this problem.
- Why is my Google Drive storage full?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.