- Teams status stuck on unknown makes it impossible to know if you’re available.
- Network connection issues and outdated Teams app can cause the problem.
- Switching to the Teams web can help fix the issue.
Microsoft Teams is one of the most productive real-time communication and professional collaboration platform.
Sadly, many users complain about their Teams Status being stuck on Unknown, making it impossible to know their availability status.
Microsoft Teams has a Status feature that allows users to set their availability status. It indicates whether the user is actively participating or available. So, if you’re in a meeting and your Teams status says unknown, others won’t be able to check your availability.
Furthermore, many factors can be responsible for the Microsoft Teams status being stuck on unknown. Some are:
- Network connection issues – Microsoft Teams relies on a stable and fast network connection to connect with its servers. So, network congestion on your PC can affect Teams and cause your status to be unknown.
- Teams Account issues – Your Teams status can be stuck on unknown if there’s a logging issue or account-related error. It can affect other components of the app and cause it to be unresponsive.
- Outdated Windows and Office client – The Teams app can crash or malfunction due to the bugs infecting your PC while running an outdated operating system. Also, your Teams status can be stuck on unknown if the Office app is outdated.
Also, corrupt cache files and other factors can cause the issue. Nonetheless, we’ll take you through some fixes to get your Teams status available again.
How do I fix the Microsoft Teams status unknown?
Before proceeding with any advanced troubleshooting steps, go ahead with the following preliminary checks:
- Turn off background apps running on your computer.
- Power cycle your router.
- Restart Windows in Safe Mode and check if Teams status is still stuck on unknown.
- Use Microsoft Teams on Web – Switching to a Teams web app will help detect where the issue lies. If your Teams status is available on your browser, then the Teams app on your PC is faulty and needs troubleshooting.
If the issue persists, proceed with the solutions below:
1. Restart the Microsoft Teams app
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Select the Microsoft Team app from the list of apps, click on the End task option from the drop-down, then click OK.
- Restart your PC and check if the Teams status is still unknown.
Ending tasks will refresh Microsoft Teams and stop every background activity affecting its functionality. Read about the shortcuts for accessing the Task Manager on your PC.
2. Clear Microsoft Teams cache
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box, type %appdata%, and press Enter.
- Navigate to the Microsoft folder on the left side and click on it.
- Find the Teams folder and double-click to open it.
- Select all the folders in the Teams folder and press Delete to clear them.
- Close and relaunch Microsoft Teams to see if the status issue is resolved.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Clearing the Microsoft Teams app cache will delete the corrupt data files causing the apps to malfunction.
3. Sign out and sign into your Microsoft Teams account
- Left-click the Start button, search for Microsoft Teams and open it from the search results.
- Click on the profile picture in the top-right corner. Click on the Sign out option and click OK.
Signing out of your account from Microsoft Teams will fix any sign-in issues causing your status to be stuck on unknown. Read how to fix Microsoft Teams keep restarting issue on your PC.
4. Update Microsoft Teams
- Launch the Microsoft Teams app.
- Click on the three dots in the top-right corner to open the Menu.
- Click on the Check for updates option from the drop-down. If there are any updates available, Teams will check and automatically install them.
Updating Microsoft Teams will resolve bugs affecting it and install new features to improve its performance.
5. Update Windows Operating System
- Press Windows + I key to open the Settings app.
- Select the Windows Update and click on Check for updates.
If there are any updates available, it will search for and install them. Updating Windows will fix the bugs and add new features to improve your system performance.
Check our guide about fixing Windows not connecting to update service if the error occurs on your PC.
However, we have a detailed guide on ways to fix operations that failed with unexpected error in Teams.
Alternatively, you can read our guide on Microsoft Teams status stuck on Out of Office and ways to fix it.
In conclusion, the solutions outlined above are effective if Microsoft Teams status is stuck on unknown. If you have any questions or suggestions, kindly use the comments section.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.