Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Millions of people across the globe use Whatsapp to communicate with friends and family either through messages or calls.
- At times, you may encounter the Whatsapp microphone not working in Windows 11 issue which can be fixed by updating your microphone drivers.
WhatsApp Desktop is a free app that lets you use on your Windows PC or Mac. Unlike the previous setup, using WhatsApp on your Desktop will provide you with a similar experience as when using it on your mobile device. That is, sending messages as well as making calls.
However, there are instances when you might run into some issues that may affect the application’s normal functionality. For instance, WhatsApp might fail to open, or even if it does then, you might not be able to send voice notes or make calls because the WhatsApp microphone not working in Windows 11.
Why is my microphone not working on WhatsApp Web?
There are a couple of reasons for the WhatsApp microphone not working Windows 11 issue. Here are the most common reasons:
- Poor internet connection – An unstable or poor Wi-Fi connection might prevent the application from using the microphone in Windows 11.
- Outdated version – If you are using a WhatsApp Web version that is not up-to-date, then this might be the reason why you are not able to access the microphone.
- Privacy settings – Your settings on WhatsApp Web might have been configured in a manner that does not allow you to make use of the microphone while using WhatsApp Web.
- Close other applications – The Whatsapp microphone not working issue might result from the mic being in use on another app, thus making it unavailable for use in WhatsApp.
What can I do if the WhatsApp microphone is not working on Windows 11?
While there are a couple of solutions that you can try to apply to fix the WhatsApp microphone not working on Windows 11 issue, you can start off by quickly checking out the following:
- Confirm whether WhatsApp is down.
- Test your Internet speed and ensure your speeds are at an optimal level.
- Log out of the application, then log back in again. If you are offline, it may be impossible to access the microphone feature in WhatsApp.
- Test whether your microphone is working.
- Try restarting your device.
1. Check Microphone Permissions
- Press Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Click on Privacy & security tab in the left pane.
- Scroll down to the Apps permissions section and click on Microphone.
- Make sure both the Microphone access and Let apps access your microphone options are On.
- Scroll down and locate the WhatsApp app, then toggle the switch to turn on the notification for the WhatsApp desktop app.
If you want to use the microphone on your device while on WhatsApp, you will have to enable the setting. If you were wondering, how do I activate voice on WhatsApp in Windows, the steps here should do.
You will now be able to make calls and send out voice notes without encountering the WhatsApp microphone not working on Windows 11 issue.
2. Reinstall WhatsApp Desktop
- Tap on the Search icon on your Taskbar.
- Search for WhatsApp on your device, then click on the Uninstall option when the search results pop up.
- Launch the Microsoft Store and download Whatsapp.
Once you have re-downloaded WhatsApp, verify whether the microphone now starts working in Windows 11. If the problem persists, head to the next solution.
3. Update Sound drivers
- Press the Windows key, type in Device Manager, and click Open.
- Navigate to Sound, video, and game controllers to expand, right-click on your Sound driver, and select Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
Generally, you should keep your PC and its components like drivers updated at all times. Regular driver updates also bring security measures and should ultimately help you avoid any problems.
However, updating manually may be time-consuming or you could end up getting the wrong drivers. Luckily, there are automatic tools like Outbyte Driver Updater that will help you scan your PC for missing or outdated drivers.
Outbyte Driver UpdaterLet Outbyte Driver Updater choose the correct drivers for your PC to improve long-term performance.
4. Run the audio troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key and click on Settings.
- Select System on the left pane then click on Troubleshoot on the right pane.
- Select Other troubleshooters.
- Scroll down to the Recording Audio section, then click on the Run button.
If you have tried to apply the listed fixes above and you are still yet to resolve the issue, then the problem might be more complex. You can alternatively try restarting your device in Safe Mode.
By restarting your Windows 11 device in Safe Mode, all third-party applications are disabled by default. You can then try to launch the application to check whether the issue has been resolved.
Then, you can test whether the issue has been resolved by trying to make a video call on WhatsApp on PC in Windows 10 or Windows 11.
We’d also recommend you check out our expert guide on easy fixes if WhatsApp Web is not working on Firefox. If the app version has too many issues, you can use WhatsApp Web in a Browser with or without your phone.
Let us know whether you have been able to solve this issue in the comments section below.