0xc000009a Error Code: 7 Ways to Fix It
Find out how our experts eliminated the problem
- The 0xc000009a error is encountered when launching applications and primarily affects games.
- The problem appears due to corrupt system files or an antivirus blocking the app from running.
- To fix things, run the app as administrator, check for disk issues, or uninstall recent Windows updates, amongst other solutions.
Windows is a user-friendly OS, and has, of late, emerged as the primary choice for gaming on PCs, particularly due to a better gaming experience on Windows 11. But it’s not smooth sailing for everyone, and many users came across the 0xc000009a error.
The message reads, Application error – The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000009a). Click OK to close the application. The error can appear for several apps, but Fortnite, Civilization 5, and Tarkov are the most affected. So, let’s find out all about it!
What is error 0xc00009a?
The error appears when launching a program and indicates Windows’ ability to do so. It can affect any app, given that there’s a problem somewhere down the line that triggers the error. And more often than not, the error can be easily fixed.
Here are a few reasons you are encountering 0xc000009a in Windows 11:
- Corrupt system files: When the system files are corrupt, you are likely to face issues running applications or even reconfiguring the settings, and Windows may keep crashing.
- Third-party apps leading to conflicts: For some users, it was a third-party app, usually an antivirus solution installed on the PC, that triggered the 0xc000009a Fortniteerror.
- Critical app files are missing: When the apps are crashing, you can’t ignore the possibility of an improper installation since that, too, could be an underlying cause.
How do I fix error 0xc00009a?
Before we head to the slightly complex solutions, try these quick tricks first:
- Restart the computer and then relaunch the program.
- Run the program as an administrator.
- Disable any third-party antivirus installed on the PC.
- Take ownership of the folder the game files are stored in.
- Check for any pending OS updates and install them. Similarly, update the game as well.
If none work, move to the fixes listed next.
1. Repair the corrupt system files
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type cmd, and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- Click Yes in the UAC prompt.
- Now, paste the following three commands individually and hit Enter after each for the DISM tool:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once done, execute this command for the SFC scan:
- Finally, restart the computer for the changes to come into effect.
Corrupt system files are often the primary reason behind the 0xc000009a application error. And running the DISM tool and SFC scan will identify and repair/replace all such files within no time.
To make this process as easy as possible, we recommend you try a dependable repair tool that runs a more in-depth version of the DISM and SFC scan.
For instance, Fortect is a noteworthy option because it can find corrupted, malfunctioning, or missing system files and repair them by locating brand-new components as replacements from its frequently-revised database.
2. Check for disk issues
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer, and go to This PC from the navigation pane.
- Right-click on the drive where the app files are stored, and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Tools tab, and click the Check button under Error checking.
- Click on Scan drive to confirm and wait for the process to complete.
In many cases, users found issues with the disk to be responsible for 0xc000009a. And the best solution here is to repair the disk. Besides, if this doesn’t work, you can always use a dedicated disk repair tool to run extensive scans and eliminate the most complex problems.
3. Uninstall third-party apps
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and hit Enter.
- Select any recently installed app or one you believe might be triggering the error, and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Often, it’s a third-party app that triggers error code 0xc000009a in Windows 10. Many found McAfee to be the underlying cause, so if you have the antivirus, uninstall the program and check whether the error disappears.
4. Check for RAM issues
When it comes to RAM issues, Microsoft offers the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostics tool to automatically identify and eliminate problems with the memory. Remember, it isn’t that effective, so you may need another memory tool.
When things come down to it, we recommend Memtest86+, an open-source memory testing tool that runs extensive and deep scans on individual memory modules. It’s best to run Memtest86+ overnight, given it takes a few hours to complete the scans.
As a last resort, you can always replace the modules to verify whether these are the underlying cause behind 0xc000009a in BattleEye.
5. Reinstall the game
- Press Windows + I to open Settings, go to Apps from the navigation pane, and click on Installed apps.
- Locate the app throwing the error, click on the ellipsis next to it, and select Uninstall.
- Again, click Uninstall in the confirmation prompt.
- Once done, restart the computer for the changes to come into effect, and download the app from a reliable source, be it the official website or Microsoft Store.
6. Uninstall recent Windows updates
- Press Windows + I to open Settings, go to Windows Update, and click on Update history on the right.
- Scroll to the bottom, and click on Uninstall updates.
- Now, click Uninstall next to the recently installed update.
- Again, click Uninstall to confirm.
For some users, it was a recent OS update that changed things, and they got 0xc000009a in Tarkov, and even other applications. In this case, the most viable fix is to uninstall Windows updates. And until a new version is released, we recommend you block Windows updates.
7. Perform a system restore
- Press Windows + S to open Search, type Create a restore point in the text field, and click on the relevant search result.
- Now, click on System Restore.
- Select Choose a different restore point and click on Next to proceed.
- Pick a restore point from the list, one created before the error first appeared, and click Next.
- Finally, verify the restore details and click on Finish to start the process.
If the other solutions for 0xc000009a don’t work, you can always perform a system restore and revert your PC to a previous healthy state. Remember, you might lose some apps and configured settings, but the personal files remain unaffected. This is the reason experts recommend regularly creating restore points.
And once you have fixed the error, do not forget to check our quick tips to optimize the PC for gaming.
Tell us which fix worked for you in the comments section below.
Still experiencing issues?
If the above suggestions have not solved your problem, your computer may experience more severe Windows troubles. We suggest choosing an all-in-one solution like Fortect to fix problems efficiently. After installation, just click the View&Fix button and then press Start Repair.