In this article we are going to show you exactly how you can downgrade your system from Windows 8 to a Windows 7 operating system. The motives as why to downgrade can be plenty but I think that in most cases people just didn’t got used to the new Windows 8 interface and most likely some of the apps they would want to use may not be supported yet by Windows 8.
What we need to keep in mind if we want to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 is the fact that Microsoft doesn’t support downgrading because they would like all users to keep the latest version of Windows and also it will only be possible to downgrade from Windows 8 Pro edition to Windows 7 Professional or Windows Vista Business.
Steps on How to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 Premium
- First of all we need a preconfigured disk with Windows 7 Premium on it. If you don’t have it already you can call the shop from where you bought the PC and ask them if they have a Windows 7 Premium CD or preconfigured disk.
- You will need to order the disk or download it from the internet as an ISO image and make the CD yourself.
- The next step we need to take is to open our Device Manager by pressing and holding the “Window” button and the “X” button.
- Expand in Device manager all the devices you have there. You will need to make a print screen of the devices or just write them down, the most important ones are basically the “display adapter”, “network adapter” and the “Pointing device”(if it is not a mouse).
- After you wrote them down go on the manufacturer’s website of each device and download the drivers necessary for Windows 7. After you downloaded them you cannot keep them in the PC so copy them to a USB stick or a CD .
Note: Do not copy the drivers to the Windows 7 CD.
- Make a list of all the apps you have on the PC to be sure to install them after you get your Windows 7 up and running
Note: Apps downloaded from the Windows Store will not work on Windows 7 unfortunately.
- Be sure to back up all you personal data you will need like emails, movies, music on a USB stick or an external hard drive.
- After you backed up all your data you can now proceed with the Windows 7 installer disk.
- Reboot the PC and place the Windows 7 disk in the PC.
- It might ask you to boot from Windows 7, in this case select Windows 7.
- The Windows 7 Premium Installer will prompt you for the partition where to begin installation and of course to format the partition.
- During the installation of Windows 7 premium it will reboot one time and then it should finish the installation.
- You will need to install the devices you have written down above and saved to your USB as well as the personal data and apps you had on Windows 8.
This is the method on how you can downgrade your Windows 8 to Windows 7 Premium but always be sure you have a backup of your data saved as you will definitely need it for Windows 7. For any additional ideas on downgrading to Windows 7 Premium write us below and we will see what we can do to help you further.