How to fix OneDrive access issues on Windows
OneDrive is a cloud solution to store your personal files securely, and access them anytime, anywhere, and from any device or browser.
It works pretty much the same as Google Drive or Dropbox, but the capabilities, and storage capacity may vary.
Can’t access OneDrive [FIX]
Solution 1: Check your Internet settings
If you key in your OneDrive account email address, and try to sign in while offline, the service gives back this prompt:
If the connection status shows you’re offline, this could be one of the main reasons for inability to access OneDrive on Windows.
Solution 2: Key in your login details again
Should the connection be good but you’re still unable to access OneDrive, maybe the problem is at log in stage. Check if you have correctly typed in your account login details, then try and sign in again.
Solution 3: Type in your PIN Code if you created one
Users who do not want others to access, change or delete their files can enter a PIN code to protect their files. If you have a PIN code for your account, key it in and access your documents. If this still doesn’t work, try the next solution.
Solution 4: Check whether you’re using OneDrive App or the website
To resolve this, visit www.onedrive.live.com, enter your credentials, and check whether all your files are intact. This allows you to access your documents via the OneDrive website on any device.
Solution 5: Review any recently made software changes
Software changes may also affect access to OneDrive. If this is the case, run the OneDrive set up again using this path: C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataLocalMicrosoftOneDriveUpdateOneDriveSetup.exe to check if it resolves the access issue.
Follow these steps to initiate and complete the OneDrive set up.
1. Click on the Start button, then type OneDrive on the search box
A list of search suggestions will come up.
2. From the list, choose OneDrive. Other suggestions such as OneDrive for Business may come up as this is pre-installed especially for Windows 10, but it is specifically for businesses and office teams. Once you click on OneDrive, the set up wizard will pop up.
3. Enter an email address then click ‘sign in’.
4. Click on either Personal, or Work or School tab to access your files.
Solution 6: Check if you’re using a different PC, or you’re on a different network server
Access to OneDrive may be hindered when using a different PC from your usual one, or you’re trying to access from a facility that uses a different network server. In this case, download and install the latest version of OneDrive app, which will allow you to manage OneDrive for personal use.
Solution 7: Resolve cache errors
Access to OneDrive may not work sometimes due to cache errors on it. To resolve this issue, try uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive using these steps:
1. Click Start, and type Add or remove programs on the search box, then press Enter
2. Select the Apps and Features option, and look for Microsoft OneDrive on the list
3. Select Uninstall
4. Press Windows button + R, the Run box will pop up
5. Type %SystemRoot%SysWOW64 then press enter
6. From the list of folders, find OneDrive and reinstall.
You can also reset OneDrive instead of running the set up all over again.
Solution 8: Confirm your OneDrive Service Status
Server downtime can affect your ability to access your OneDrive account. Check the Service status of your OneDrive here, to get information as to whether it is down in your area.
Solution 9: Contact your Internet Service Provider
If the Service status report is positive, meaning OneDrive is not down, check with your Internet Service Provider – sometimes the snag is on their end.
Did any of these access solutions work for you? Share with us in the comments section.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- OneDrive now requires the use of NTFS drives
- Fix “Your OneDrive folder can’t be created in the location you selected”
- Fix: “Set up OneDrive” keeps popping up
The Windows 10 Action Center includes Quick Action buttons that provide shortcuts for adjusting settings. For example, users can press the Tablet mode button to […]
Upgrading to a new version of Windows isn’t always simple, and many users reported The language or edition of the version of Windows is not […]
Due to the aggressive and territorial nature of Windows 10, problems like this will emerge quite often. That’s why it’s advised to install Windows 10 […]