PFN LIST CORRUPT error in Windows 10 [FIXED]
If your computer encounters a hardware failure or a major software problem, it will give you the infamous Blue Screen of Death error and restart itself. These types of errors can sometimes appear on Windows 10, and they are somewhat serious, therefore it’s crucial to fix them as soon as you can. Since these types of errors can be problematic, today we’re going to show you how to fix PFN LIST CORRUPT error.
Fix PFN LIST CORRUPT BSoD error on Windows 10
- Update Windows 10 and your drivers
- Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Run DISM
- Check the hard drive
- Disable Microsoft OneDrive
- Uninstall the problematic software
- Check your hardware
Steps to fix PFN LIST CORRUPT
Solution 1 – Update Windows 10 and your drivers
Windows 10 isn’t a perfect operating system, and there are few bugs and issues, so in order to fix any hardware or software issue, it’s crucial to run Windows Update regularly.
By downloading the latest updates, you’ll fix most of the hardware and software issues, which are both major causes of PFN LIST CORRUPT error. In addition to bug fixes, updates bring improved stability, security and new features, so be sure to download them frequently.
In addition to Windows 10 updates, it’s also important to keep your drivers up to date. Windows 10 is a modern operating system, therefore it might have some issues with older hardware. These issues can sometimes result in a BSoD error, therefore it’s important to update your drivers on regular basis.
To update your drivers, simply visit your hardware manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your device. You might have to repeat this process for all installed devices in order to fix this problem.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 2 – Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
The next thing we’re going to try is running the BSOD troubleshooter. This is a part of Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooting tool that can be found in the settings. Hopefully, this tool can resolve the PFN LIST CORRUPT error, as well.
Here’s how to run Windows 10’s troubleshooter:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 3 – Run the SFC scan
The next tool we’re going to try is the SFC scan. This is a command-line troubleshooter that can resolve various issues, including the BSOD errors. Hopefully, the PFN LIST CORRUPT error, as well.
Here’s how to run the SFC scan in Windows 10:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Solution 4 – Run DISM
And the third troubleshooting tool we’re going to use is DISM. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM), as its name says, re-deploys the system image, resolving potential issues on the way. That can be applied to the PFN LIST CORRUPT error, as well.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- Standard way
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
Solution 5 – Check the hard drive
If there’s something wrong with your hard drive, BSODs are a common occurrence. For that matter, you need to check the condition of your hard drive. And to do that, use the chkdsk command. This command basically scans your partitions, and resolves any potential problems.
Here’s how to run the chkdsk command in Windows 10:
- Enter the Advanced Startup (Restart your computer while holding the Shift key).
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
- Select Command Prompt from the list of options.
- When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
- Some users are also suggesting that you need to run additional chkdsk commands as well. To perform these commands, you need to know drive letters for all your hard drive partitions. In Command Prompt you should enter the following (but remember to use the letters that match your hard drive partitions on your PC):
This is just our example, so keep in mind that you have to perform chkdsk command for every hard drive partition that you have.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 6 – Disable Microsoft OneDrive
OneDrive was a part of Windows Essentials suite for many years, but with the rising popularity of cloud storage, it became a default application on Windows 10. OneDrive is a great tool that allows you to collaborate and share files with others, but unfortunately, several users reported that OneDrive can also cause PFN LIST CORRUPT error. In order to fix this issue, you’ll have to disable OneDrive, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter group policy. Select Edit group policy.
- When Local Group Policy Editor opens, in the left pane navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive.
- In the right pane, locate Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage and double click it.
- Select Enabled and click Apply and OK to disable OneDrive.
Alternatively, you can use Registry Editor if you prefer so. To disable OneDrive by using Registry Editor, to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK to start Registry Editor.
- Once Registry Editor starts, you need to navigate to the following key in the left pane:
- Expand the Windows key and search for OneDrive key. If the key doesn’t exist, go to the the next step to create it.
- Right click Windows key and choose New > Key. Enter OneDrive as the name of the key.
- Select the OneDrive key. In the right pane, right click and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Enter DisableFileSyncNGSC as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double click the DisableFileSyncNGSC and change its Value data to 1. Click OK to save changes.
If you cannot access Windows 10 due to PFN LIST CORRUPT error, you’ll have to perform these steps from Safe Mode. To enter Safe Mode, do the following:
- Restart your computer few times while it boots. This should start Automatic Repair process.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- Once your computer restarts again, you’ll see a list of options. Press F5 or 5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once the Safe Mode starts, disable the OneDrive.
Solution 7 – Uninstall the problematic software
BSoD errors are often caused by certain software, and many users reported that PFN LIST CORRUPT error is caused by your antivirus. It’s worth mentioning that almost any antivirus software can cause BSoD error, so be sure to uninstall any third-party antivirus software.
In order to completely remove an antivirus software, it’s recommended to use a dedicated uninstaller. Many antivirus companies offer these uninstaller tools for their software, so be sure to download and use one of these tools. After you removed the antivirus software completely, you can download the latest version of the same tool, or you can switch to a different antivirus solution.
In addition to your antivirus, certain drivers can cause PFN LIST CORRUPT. Users reported that they fixed the error by removing the Etron driver. To remove a certain driver from your PC, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- Once the Device Manager starts, you need to locate the driver you wish to remove. Right click it and choose Uninstall.
- If available, check Delete driver software for this device and click OK.
- Restart your computer.
Users reported that after removing the Etron driver their issues with PFN LIST CORRUPT BSoD were fixed. Bear in mind the almost any driver can cause this error, you might need to do a bit of research before you find a driver that is causing you this problem.
In addition to your antivirus and drivers, sometimes regular applications can cause a BSoD error. Few users reported that Philips Incenter Offline was the main cause for this error, and after removing it the issue was completely resolved. Again, almost any software can cause these types of errors, so it’s best that you remove any recently installed software.
Solution 8 – Check your hardware
Rather often PFN LIST CORRUPT error can be caused by a faulty hardware, most commonly RAM, so make sure to check if your RAM is working properly. To do that, download MemTest86+ and run it for couple of hours. Many users reported that after replacing their RAM the issue was completely resolved.
Even though your RAM might be the common cause, be sure to check if other components, such as your motherboard, network card and graphic card, are working properly.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
PFN LIST CORRUPT BSoD error can be problematic, but since this error is often caused by a software issue, it can be easily fixed by following one of our solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- READ ALSO: How to fix Windows 10 sysprep errors
Objects made of wood have a different kind of energy and they make for very nice gift ideas. In a world where plastic is the […]
Open Source Software or just OBS, as the name signifies, is a free and open source streaming and recording platform used by the media professionals, […]
Wearing fashionable sweaters is no big deal during winters, but wearing an ugly sweater is. Yes, the trend of ugly Christmas sweaters is back. The […]