Fix: Please Wait Until Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed
Uninstalling programs is relatively simple in Windows 10, but some potential errors are possible, and things might get complicated. One of these errors is also a ‘never completed uninstallation,’ which doesn’t allow you to uninstall any program, by telling you “Please wait until current program is finished uninstalling or being changed.”
This could be a really serious issue, because you’ll eventually need to uninstall a program, and this error won’t allow you to. So, I prepared a couple of solutions, and I hope they’ll be helpful.
- Add remove programs stuck on please wait – Several users reported that they are unable to remove applications from their PC. According to them, they are getting this message while using Add or remove programs app.
- Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling AVG – Third-party applications can often interfere with your PC, and many users reported this problem while trying to uninstall AVG antivirus.
- Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling stuck – In some cases, users might get stuck while trying to remove certain applications. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it with one of our solutions.
How to Deal with Please Wait Until Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed Error in Windows 10
- Restart Your Computer
- Use a Third Party Uninstaller
- Perform a System Restore
- Restart explorer.exe
- Remove / disable your antivirus
- Re-register Windows Installer
- Stop Windows Installer service
- Download Microsoft’s troubleshooter
- Try to remove the application in Safe Mode
Solution 1 – Restart Your Computer
If you didn’t restart your computer after you noticed the message about incomplete previous uninstallation, you definitely should. Sometimes Windows is unable to complete the uninstallation of the program normally, and as you probably know, you can’t uninstall two programs at the same time, so if the uninstallation of one isn’t completed, you can’t run another process.
Restarting your computer will ‘kill’ all processes, including the corrupt uninstallation, so you can try to uninstall the desired program once again when your computer boots. But if you’re facing this issue even after you’ve restarted your computer, try one of the solutions below.
Solution 2 – Use a Third Party Uninstaller
There are some third-party uninstallers that are the more powerful solution than Windows’ own uninstaller. So, you can download the third-party uninstaller, and try to uninstall the desired program again. There are a lot of great uninstallers available, but our picks are Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
Solution 3 – Perform a System Restore
If restarting and trying another uninstaller didn’t get the job done, you can try with restoring your Windows 10 to the state before the problem existed. To perform a System Restore in Windows 10, do the following:
- Go to Control Panel > Recovery.
- Go to Open System Restore.
- Select the proper restore point, and follow further on-screen instructions.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Try to uninstall a desired program to see if the problem has been resolved.
- READ ALSO: 10 best uninstaller software for PC users
Solution 4 – Restart explorer.exe
If you’re getting Please Wait Until Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed error message, the problem might be the Windows Explorer process. According to users, you might be able to fix the problem simply by restarting explorer.exe. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- When Task Manager opens, right click Windows Explorer and choose Restart from the menu.
After doing that, the error message should disappear. Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, so you might have to repeat this solution if the problem reappears.
Solution 5 – Remove / disable your antivirus
According to users, Please Wait Until Current Program Is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed error message can appear sometimes due to your antivirus software. Certain antivirus apps can interfere with your operating system and cause this error to appear. To fix the issue, it’s advised to disable your antivirus software and check if that solves the problem.
If disabling the antivirus doesn’t solve the issue, you might have to uninstall it. The best way to remove all files associated with your antivirus is to download the dedicated removal software for your antivirus. After using this tool the application should be completely removed.
Now you just have to install the latest version of your antivirus software or switch to a completely new antivirus solution. Users reported issues with AVG, but keep in mind that other antivirus tools can cause this problem to appear.
Solution 6 – Re-register Windows Installer
According to users, this issue can appear due to problems with Windows Installer service. However, you can fix this problem simply by re-registering Windows Installer service. This is rather simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, just press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. You can also use PowerShell (Admin) if you don’t have Command Prompt available.
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following commands:
After running these commands, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 7 – Stop Windows Installer service
If you’re getting Please Wait Until Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed error message, you might be able to fix the problem simply by disabling Windows Installer service. This service starts when you try to remove a certain application, and it can prevent you from uninstalling other apps. To stop Windows Installer service, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- List of available services will now appear. Locate Windows Installer service, right click it and choose Stop from the menu. If Stop option isn’t available, it means that Windows Installer service isn’t currently running on your PC.
Some users are recommending to restart Windows Explorer after disabling Windows Installer service, so you might want to do that.
Solution 8 – Download Microsoft’s troubleshooter
Sometimes Please Wait Until Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed error message due to corrupted registry or other third-party apps. However, you can easily fix the problem by downloading Microsoft’s Troubleshooter.
After downloading the application, run it and it will automatically fix any installation issues that you have. Now check if the error appears again.
Solution 9 – Try to remove the application in Safe Mode
Several users reported that they fixed the Please Wait Until Current Program is Finished Uninstalling or Being Changed error message simply by removing their application from Safe Mode. To access Safe Mode, do the following:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key + I and navigate to Update & security section.
- In the left pane, select Recovery and in the right pane click on Restart now button.
- Your PC will now restart and you’ll be presented with three options. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Now click on Restart button.
- You’ll see a list of options. Select any version of Safe Mode by pressing the appropriate key on your keyboard.
After Safe Mode starts, try to uninstall the problematic application.
That’s about it, I hope these solutions helped you to uninstall your program normally. If you have any comments, or questions, just reach for the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Windows 10 Creators Update randomly uninstalls drivers and apps
- How to uninstall Windows 10 Creators Update
- Some Windows 10 default apps can’t be uninstalled
- Fix: Can’t uninstall Skype Click to Call, error 2738 on Windows 10
- Fix: ‘Please uninstall current Bluetooth installation before continuing’
Users reported on Reddit that Windows 10 v1903 disabled Windows Defender real-time protection. This is often the case when you installed another antivirus solution on […]
Windows 10 v1903 brought along the error message Getting everything ready for you for some people. This is the case for one user who the […]