SOLVED: Unreal Engine 4 won’t launch on Windows 10
Unreal Engine is rather important for so many developers. And, since it’s free for almost 3 years, Unreal Editor and its current version, UE 4, are a must-have software in the business of development. It works on well on the latest iteration of Windows, but there are some apparent issues at hand for some users. Namely, they were unable to open the Unreal Engine 4.
We prepared some solutions for this problem below, so make sure to check them out.
Unreal Engine 4 won’t open? Here’s how to fix this
- Run the UE 4 as admin
- Disable the antivirus
- Verify the installation
- Reinstall the Unreal Engine client
- Rollback Windows 10
1: Run the UE 4 as admin
In most reports describing this issues, users were able to run Unreal Engine 4 without issues until it suddenly stops working. This implies that some system changes were made. Some changes which evidently disrupted the game installation. The most common reason is Windows Update (major updates especially), which seemingly broke both Epic Launcher and Unreal Engine 4.
The first step we suggest is trying to run the Unreal Engine client with the administrative permission and hope for the best. Here’s how to set the administrative access permanently:
- Open the Epic Launcher client.
- Select the Unreal Engine tab.
- Under the Unreal Engine 4, expand the drop-down menu and create the desktop shortcut.
- Right-click on the desktop shortcut and open Properties.
- Choose the Compatibility tab.
- Check the “Run this program as an administrator” box and confirm changes.
2: Disable the antivirus
Another possible reason for the malfunction of Unreal Engine 4 is a third-party antivirus. Judging by user reports, the re-occurring culprit for this is the Comodo Antivirus solution. Many of them tried disabling it, but the only thing which presented a permanent resolution is removing the antivirus completely.
Here’s how to uninstall the antivirus in Windows 10:
- Open Control Panel. Type Control in the Search bar and select it from the list of results.
- With the Category view, choose to Uninstall a program.
- Remove the antivirus completely. We suggest using the Ashampoo Uninstaller to clean the remaining files and registry entries.
- Restart your PC and try running the Unreal Engine 4 again.
3: Verify the installation
Before we move to the reinstallation procedure, it’s worth trying to verify the integrity of the Unreal Engine 4 installation files. You can use the built-in tool on Epic Launcher to check for the corruption within the installed files.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Open the Epic Launcher.
- Choose the Unreal Engine tab.
- Expand the drop-down menu and click “Verify“.
- Wait until everything is done.
4: Reinstall the Unreal Engine client
If the installed files and the files from associated applications get corrupted, the client won’t start for obvious reasons. Could something like that happen after the major Windows 10 update? Possibly. That’s why the reinstallation is another step you should follow through.
In addition, we suggest a clean uninstall which includes clearing everything (registry entries, too) assigned to Epic Launcher and Unreal Engine 4, respectively. We already explained how to perform a clean uninstall in Step 2, just don’t forget to backup your projects. You can, of course, find the installer for the Epic Launcher, here. Later on, just download and install the Unreal Engine 4 studio within the Epic Launcher.
5: Rollback Windows 10
Finally, if you’re certain that a Windows update caused issues, there’s the rollback option which should allow you to get to a previous version of Windows 10. This is one recovery option which comes in handy in scenarios like this. Even though your data should be untouched, we advise backing up everything before performing this step.
Here’s how to rollback Windows 10 to its previous version:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select Recovery.
- Click ‘Get started‘ under the Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.
That’s it. Don’t forget to share your questions or suggestions with us in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Try these random PC games in 2018 and tell us if you’re still bored
- 6 of the best VPNs for Fortnite [2018 List]
- How to install Fortnite on unsupported OS versions
If you have a Power BI report connected to Data in an Excel file in the Power BI Service or Desktop client, you can refresh […]
If you have a VPN client installed on your PC, you may also want to install an Antivirus program to protect your PC against virus and […]
The Video Editor in the Windows Photos app allows you to create videos and sync them to OneDrive. As of today, Microsoft announced that sync […]