- Windows 11's mobile hotspot, not working problems can be caused by outdated network adapter drivers, Bluetooth, firewalls, Airplane mode, and even registry issues.
- Editing the registry might help you fix the We can't set up mobile hotspot error in Windows 11.
- Some built-in troubleshooters also come in handy for fixing network-related issues that stop mobile hotspots from working.
A mobile hotspot is a handy Windows 11 network feature. When enabled, you can share your PC’s WiFi Internet connection with other devices. However, the mobile hotspot feature might not always work as expected in Windows 11.
For example, some users need to fix a grayed-out mobile hotspot setting. The annoying We can’t set up mobile hotspot error is another widely cited issue that can arise when users try to enable the feature.
Are you among those who need to solve the mobile hotspot not working problem? If so, the potential Windows 11 resolutions below might help you get that feature working in no time.
Why is my mobile hotspot not working in Windows 11?
Mobile hotspots can stop working because of network-related issues or specific Windows 11 features interrupting the hotspot connection. These are some of the more common reasons to consider:
- Airplane mode is enabled: The Airplane mode disables wireless connections, which means you can’t utilize a mobile hotspot with that feature enabled
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth can also interrupt mobile hotspot connections
- Outdated network drivers: A network-related issue for mobile hotspots can be due to obsolete network adapter drivers
- Firewalls: Windows 11’s built-in firewall, or others incorporated in antivirus software, can feasibly get in the way of mobile hotspot connections
Moreover, users reported other similar issues, which we will address below. Therefore, if you find yours mentioned below, make sure to follow the solutions put together by us:
- Windows 11 hotspot not working – Expand the Network adapters folder found within the Device Manager window. Choose Update Driver from the context menu that appears when you right-click on your WiFi driver.
- Can’t connect to Windows hotspot – Firewalls and antivirus software should be disabled for the time being.
- Windows 11 hotspot not working after update – In this case, you can choose to uninstall the latest Windows 11 update.
- Windows could not connect to mobile hotspot – Start the Network Adapter troubleshooter with Windows 11.
- Obtaining IP address problem in WiFi hotspot Windows 11 – Because of an IP setting error, the user cannot connect to a WiFi network and will see this warning if they try.
- Windows 11 USB tethering not working – It has been discovered that fixing USB tethering problems in Windows 11 requires manually upgrading the drivers for your iPhone or Android mobile device.
Without further ado, let’s jump into the list of solutions to the Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working issue. Follow along!
How can I fix the mobile hotspot not working in Windows 11?
1. Run Windows 11’s Network Adapter troubleshooter
- Click Windows 11’s Start button, then select the Settings app pinned to the Start menu.
- Next, click Troubleshoot on the System tab.
- Click the Other trouble-shooters options to bring up a list of troubleshooters.
- Press the Run button for the Network Adapter troubleshooter.
- Click the All network adapters radio button within the troubleshooter’s window. Then, press the Next button to proceed.
2. Disable Airplane mode
- Press the Windows + I keyboard shortcut that opens Settings. Next, select the Network & internet tab.
- Turn off the Flight mode setting if it’s enabled. The Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working error should disappear afterward.
3. Disable Bluetooth
- Click Start on the taskbar. Next, select Settings to open that app’s window.
- Next, select the Bluetooth & devices tab.
- Click the Bluetooth option’s toggle button to turn that feature off. The Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working error will be fixed.
4. Start the Mobile Hotspot Service
- Launch Run with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- To open Services, type this text into the Open box and click OK:
- Next, double-click the Windows Mobile Hotspot Service to open a properties window for it.
- Click the Start button.
- Select Apply and Ok to save the newly selected settings.
- If the Windows Mobile Hotspot service is already running, right-click that service and select the Restart option instead.
5. Change the network adapter’s settings
- Open the Settings app as covered in the first couple of steps in resolution one.
- Select the Network & Internet tab, then click Advanced network settings.
- Select More network adapter options under Related settings.
- Right-click the network adapter for your mobile hotspot to select Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab on the properties window.
- Deselect the checkbox for the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection option.
- Then click the OK button.
- After that, click the Power and Restart options on Windows 11’s Start menu. The Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working issue will be addressed.
6. Update your PC’s WiFi driver
- Hold the Windows key and press X at the same time. Select Device Manager to bring up that utility’s window.
- Next, double-click Network adapters to extend that Device Manager category.
- Right-click your PC’s WiFi network adapter to select an Update driver option for it.
- Click Search automatically for drivers to initiate an automatic driver scan and update. This will ensure that the Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working issue will be gone.
A newer driver might still be available for your PC’s network adapter even if the Update Driver determines the best one is already installed.
Scanning your PC with a driver updater utility will tell you if your network adapter has an updated driver, so try DriverFix in that regard.
Scan and update all outdated drivers in just a few clicks.
7. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- First, press the Windows key, then type Windows Defender Firewall in the search box.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open that Control Panel applet.
- Next, select the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option.
- Select the radio buttons for the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options.
- Press the OK button to confirm. The Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working error will be solved.
If your PC has a third-party antivirus utility installed, try turning it off. Right-click the antivirus utility’s icon in Windows 11’s system tray to look for a disable (turn off) setting. Then select the Disable option to turn off the antivirus software, if possible temporarily.
8. Edit the registry
- Click the Search taskbar button (the one with the magnifying glass icon).
- To find Registry Editor, enter the keyword regedit in the Type here to search box. Then, select Registry Editor within the search results to open its window.
- Now open the following key within Registry Editor’s windows:
- Select the HostedNetworkSettings key. Then right-click the HostedNetworkSettings REG_BINARY in the right pane of Registry Editor and select Delete. The Windows 11 mobile hotspot not working issue will be fixed.
9. Reset your network
- Open Settings as outlined in steps one and two of the first resolution.
- Click the Network & Internet tab on the Settings window’s left side, and select Advanced network settings to open further options.
- Click Network reset to bring up that option.
- Press the Reset network button.
- Select Yes on the confirmation prompt that pops up.
How do I reset my hotspot settings?
To reset the hotspot settings on your Android phone, you can do the following, but note that the steps might differ from mobile to mobile:
- Access the Settings app on your Android device, then go down to the System section and select it.
- Expand the Advanced section.
- Choose Reset Options.
- Tap Reset WiFi, mobile & Bluetooth.
- Follow the on-screen steps to reset the hotspot.
Who can I contact about fixing the mobile hotspot?
Microsoft’s support service for Windows 11 might be able to help fix the mobile hotspot not working problem. The Contact Microsoft Support page includes a Get support link you can click to open a Describe your issue text box. Then, fill out that text box, and select the Get help and Contact Support options.
Or you can add a post about that to the Microsoft community forum for Windows. Then, click Ask a question on that forum to open a text editor. Then you can submit a forum post question about fixing the mobile hotspot issue with the text editor.
Yet, you might not need to contact any support service about mobile hotspot not working. The potential resolutions specified above can solve many mobile hotspot errors. So, give some of those solutions a try first.
Remember that there are also various third-party WiFi hotspot apps you can enjoy on Windows 11. You don’t necessarily have to fix a mobile hotspot to establish a WiFi hotspot in Windows. Our WiFi hotspot software solutions guide tells you all about the best ones.
Of course, there might be more ways you can fix mobile hotspots, not working problems. Users who have discovered different resolutions for fixing Windows 11’s mobile hotspot feature are welcome to share their tips below.