Blue Screen of Death errors, also known as STOP errors, are one of the most serious errors on Windows 10. These types of errors can be caused by faulty hardware, therefore it’s crucial to know how to fix errors such as MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.
How to fix MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSoD error
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION can cause many problems on your PC. Speaking of this error, users reported the following issues as well:
- Machine Check Exception blue screen – This error is always followed by a Blue Screen of Death. The most likely cause is a hardware problem or a corrupted driver.
- Machine Check Exception on boot – Sometimes this error appears as soon as your PC boots. As a result, you won’t be able to access Windows 10 at all.
- Machine Check Exception overclock – Many users tend to overclock their hardware in order to get the maximum performance. However, overclocking can cause this and many other errors to occur.
- Machine Check Exception Windows 10 install – Few users reported this issue as soon as they installed Windows 10. According to them, the issue was caused by incompatible hardware or a bad driver.
- Windows 10 upgrade machine_check_exception – This error also appears after upgrading your Windows 10 PC. Usually the problem is a bad update or a compatibility issue.
- Machine Check Exception error System halted – This is a variation of this error, but you should be able to fix it with solutions from this article.
- Machine Check Exception Internal timer error – Another variation of the original error. Just like with other errors, this one can be solved with one of our solutions.
- Uncorrectable Machine Check Exception – This is also a type of error that can appear. In most cases, the error is caused by a hardware issue.
- Machine_check_exception hal.dll, halmacpi.dll – Sometimes this error will tell you which file is causing the problem. The most common causes for this error are hal.dll and halmacpi.dll.
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Update your drivers
Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by incompatible or outdated drivers, therefore it’s crucial that you update drivers as often as you can. In order for Windows 10 to recognize and use your hardware, your drivers have to be up to date, and if that’s not the case, your PC will crash while giving you the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error.
Easiest way to fix this issue is to update your drivers, and you can download all the necessary drivers from your hardware manufacturer’s website. Users confirmed that updating their drivers fixed the problem for them, so be sure to try that.
To download all the necessary drivers for your Windows 10 PC, you can use this Driver Update software. By using this software you’ll update all the outdated drivers with just a single click.
Solution 2 – Uninstall your graphic card driver
Although it’s recommended to use the latest drivers, sometimes latest drivers might have certain issues with Windows 10, and it’s recommend to uninstall them and replace them with the older version. To uninstall your graphic card driver, do the following:
- Download Display Driver Uninstaller.
- Start the tool and follow the instructions.
After removing the display driver you just have to visit your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the drivers for your graphic card. Just be sure to download the older version of the drivers and not the one you had before. Although this solutions applies to Nvidia graphic cards, it might also work for AMD owners as well.
Solution 3 – Update your BIOS
According to the users, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error can be caused by outdated BIOS, and if you want to fix this error, you might have to update your BIOS. By updating your BIOS you’ll enable new features of your motherboard and fix the potential compatibility issues between your processor and motherboard.
Bear in mind that updating BIOS is an advanced procedure, and if you don’t perform it correctly you can cause permanent damage to your PC. If you decide to update BIOS, be extra careful and check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Solution 4 – Disable Fast Boot and CSM in BIOS
Many users reported that disabling Fast Boot and CSM in BIOS fixed the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION Blue Screen of Death error on Windows 10, therefore we strongly advise you to disable these features from BIOS. To see how to access BIOS and how to disable these features, be sure to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Solution 5 – Disable Intel SpeedStep Technology in BIOS
Few users reported that disabling Intel SpeedStep Technology in BIOS fixes this issue, so you might want to try that. Before you enter BIOS, make sure that you check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions on how to enter BIOS and how to disable this feature.
Solution 6 – Disable your LAN adapter
According to users, the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error is caused by your Atheros network adapter, and in order to fix this issue it’s advised that you disable your network adapter. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate your network adapter, right click it and choose Disable from the menu.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved.
If the problem is fixed, you might want to try updating your network adapter driver and enabling the adapter again, but if that doesn’t help, you should replace your network adapter since it might be faulty.
Solution 7 – Set SATA Fast boot to All devices
Some users claim that setting SATA Fast boot to All devices in BIOS fixes the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSoD error. To see how to change this setting, we strongly advise you to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Solution 8 – Unplug your DVD and additional hard drives
Users reported that they are unable to install Windows 10 due to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error, and if you’re facing the same issue, try to disconnect your DVD drive along with any additional hard drives that you have installed.
Sometimes in order to complete the setup process you need disconnect all other hard drives and only have your installation hard drive connected. If you have only one hard drive, be sure to disconnect your DVD drive before starting the setup process.
Solution 9 – Check for faulty hardware
Blue Screen of Death errors such as MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION can be caused by faulty hardware, therefore we strongly advise you to check your RAM, processor, motherboard and all other major hardware components. Few users reported that a faulty processor is the cause for this error, so make sure that you check your processor first.
If you’re still having issues with your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSoD error can cause certain problems, but this error can be easily fixed by performing a BIOS update, or by changing certain BIOS settings.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: INVALID_KERNEL_HANDLE error on Windows 10
- Fix error code 0xc004c003 in Windows 10
- Fix: USBDEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE Error in Windows 10
- Fix: CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error on Windows 10
- Fix: Kmode_exception_not_handled in Windows 10