- Although Outlook is one of the most used business-focused email client, is far from perfect.
- Users report getting the error message Sorry, something went wrong when using Outlook and in this article, we are exploring ways to fix it.
- We've written more articles about common issues on our Troubleshooting page.
- You will find more related articles and guides in our amazing Outlook hub. Take your time to check it out.
Outlook is probably one of the most popular email clients since it’s part of the Microsoft Office suite.
Even though Outlook is great, Windows 10 users reported getting the Sorry, something went wrong error message while using Outlook.
In this article, we will explore some ways on how to fix this error, so keep reading.
What can I do if something went wrong in Outlook?
1. Reinstall Office
- Go to Settings app and select System.
- Next, click on Apps & features.
- Select Microsoft Office and click Uninstall.
Note: After uninstalling Microsoft Office you need to run the cleanup tool to remove any remaining Microsoft Office files. After running it, simply reinstall Microsoft Office.
2. Repair Office installation
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu.
- Select Control Panel from the list.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Locate Microsoft Office and click the Change button.
- Select Online Repair and click Repair.
Note: You can use Quick Repair option that is significantly faster, but this option won’t thoroughly repair Microsoft Office.
3. Temporarily disable antivirus or firewall
Antivirus or firewall can interfere with many applications, and Outlook is no exception.
To prevent this problem from appearing, we suggest that you temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall and check if that fixes the problem.
If disabling the antivirus doesn’t help, you might want to remove your antivirus and check if that fixes the problem.
If you’re concerned about your safety, you should know that Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender that will turn on automatically after you disable or uninstall your antivirus so your PC won’t be completely defenseless.
If you look for a more efficient antivirus than Windows Defender that doesn’t interfere with different apps, you can choose from the best antivirus compatible with Windows 10.
4. Delete the temporary files
- Press Windows Key + R and
- Enter %windir% temp.
- Press Enter or click OK.
- Delete all files and folders from it
Note: You’ll need administrator privileges in order to delete files from the Temp folder.
5. Delete the remembered email addresses
Users reported that Sorry, something went wrong error appears only when sending emails to certain email addresses.
According to users, one solution that worked for them is to delete those addresses from the list of remembered addresses.
After removing those addresses you need to enter them manually while sending an email in order to fix this problem.
6. Delete the problematic contact group
According to users, sometimes a problematic contact group can cause this issue to appear. Users reported that certain groups had blank space followed by semicolons instead of one email address.
Removing the empty space and semicolon didn’t fix the issue according to users, therefore the only way to fix this problem is to delete the whole contact group and create it again.
Before deleting the contact group be sure to memorize which email addresses were in it so you can recreate your group easier.
7. Reset the autocomplete cache
Autocomplete cache can also cause Sorry, something went wrong error in Outlook while sending email, and to fix this problem you need to reset autocomplete cache.
To do that, go to File, and in the Options tab select Mail. Here you should find the option to reset autocomplete cache there.
8. Add your RMS URL to Local Intranet sites
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options.
- Select Internet Options.
- Go to the Security tab, select Local intranet.
- Click the Sites button.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Enter your RMS URL.
- Click the Add button and then click Close.
The error Sorry, something went wrong in Outlook can prevent you from sending emails and cause many problems, but you can easily fix this error by using one of our solutions.
Let us know in the comment section below if you have any questions or recommendations.