Full Fix: Windows update cannot currently check for updates because you must first restart the computer
Issues with Windows Update can sometimes occur, and many users reported Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because you must first restart the computer so that a previous installation can be completed message on their PC. This message can be quite problematic, and in today’s article we’ll show you how to fix it.
Windows Update sometimes won’t be able to download updates due to various problems. Speaking of issues, here are some of the most common problems that users reported:
- Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running – In order to avoid this message, you need to go to the Services window and make sure that the required services are running properly.
- Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because updates on this computer are controlled by – This issue can appear if you don’t have the necessary privileges, but you can fix the issue using one of our solutions.
Windows Update cannot currently check for updates message, how to fix it?
- Edit your registry
- Make sure that your date and time are correct
- Make sure that the necessary services are running
- Delete the corrupted Windows log file
- Reset Windows Update components
- Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Install the update manually
- Perform an in-place upgrade
Solution 1 – Edit your registry
According to users, sometimes Windows Update cannot currently check for updates message can appear due to problems with your registry. According to users, Windows creates RebootRequired key when Windows Update starts, and once the update process is finished, this key is removed.
Unfortunately, sometimes issues with Windows Update can occur, and the key won’t get deleted by Windows. However, you can fix the problem simply by removing that key manually. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update in the left pane. Now right-click Auto Update key and choose Export from the menu.
- Enter the desired file name, choose a save location and click the Save button. In case anything goes wrong after modifying the registry, you can always run this file in order to restore it.
- Expand the Auto Update key in the left pane and search for RebootRequired key. If this key is available, right-click it and choose Delete from the menu. When the confirmation dialog appears, click Yes.
After making these changes, restart your PC and the problem should be resolved.
Solution 2 – Make sure that your date and time are correct
If you’re getting Windows Update cannot currently check for updates message, the problem might be your date and time. If your date or time aren’t correct, you might not be able to check for updates. However, you can easily fix this problem by readjusting your date and time. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Right-click the clock icon on your Taskbar. Choose Adjust date/time option from the menu.
- Now locate Set time automatically option and turn it off. Wait for a few moments and enable this feature back on again.
After doing that, check if the problem is still there. If you want, you can also use the Change button to manually adjust your date and time.
Solution 3 – Make sure that the necessary services are running
According to users, you can experience Windows Update cannot currently check for updates message because the necessary services aren’t running. To fix this problem, it’s advised to start BITS and Windows Update services manually. You can do that by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service and double-click it to open its properties.
- Set Startup type to Automatic (Delayed Start) and click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Now double-click Windows Update service and change its Startup type to Automatic (Delayed Start).
- After doing that, try to start both Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update service.
After doing that, the problem should be completely resolved and everything should start working again.
Solution 4 – Delete the corrupted Windows log file
If you’re unable to update your system due to Windows Update cannot currently check for updates message, the problem might be a corrupted log file. To fix this issue, it’s recommended to find that log file and remove it or rename it.
To do that, just follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer and go to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs directory.
- Locate edb.log file, and rename it or delete it.
After doing that, the problem should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to install updates again.
Several users reported The action can’t be completed because the file is open in Application Experience message while trying to edit this file. If this happens, it’s advised to start your PC in Safe Mode and try to rename or remove the file again.
To do that, just follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app. You can do that by using Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When the Settings app opens, navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Select Recovery from the left pane. Now click the Restart now button.
- You’ll see a list of options. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings. Click the Restart button.
- You’ll be presented with a list of options. Select the version of Safe Mode you want to use by pressing the appropriate key.
After you boot to Safe Mode, locate the log file and rename it or delete it.
Solution 5 – Reset Windows Update components
Sometimes Windows Update cannot currently check for updates message can appear because Windows Update components aren’t working properly. This can occur for various reasons, and the best way to fix this problem is to reset Windows Update components. This is relatively simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, just press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin). If you want, you can also use PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, run these commands one by one:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
After these commands are executed, check if the problem is still there. If you find this solution a bit tedious due to all these commands that you have to run, you can always create Windows Update Reset script and run and use it to run all these commands automatically.
Solution 6 – Run Windows Update troubleshooter
According to users, Windows update cannot currently check for updates can sometimes appear if there’s an issue with Windows Update. However, Windows 10 comes with with various troubleshooters, and you can use them to fix common problems.
If you’re having issues with Windows Update, you might be able to solve the problem simply by running Windows Update troubleshooter. To use Windows Update troubleshooter, just do the following:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Update & Security section.
- Select the Troubleshoot from the menu on the left. Pick Windows Update from the list and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Once the troubleshooter is finished, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Install the update manually
If you’re getting Windows update cannot currently check for updates, you might be able to circumvent the issue simply by manually installing the updates. In case you don’t know, you can download the Windows Updates manually and install them on your own.
Before you can do that, you need to get the update code. The code has a KB prefix and it’s followed by an array of numbers, and you can easily find it in the Windows Update section. Once you find the update code, you just need to do the following:
- Visit Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- In the search bar enter the update code.
- List of matching updates will now appear. Locate the update that uses the same system architecture as your operating system and download it.
- Once you download the update, double-click it to install it and follow the instructions on the screen.
After doing that, you should have the latest updates installed and the issue should be resolved.
Solution 8 – Perform an in-place upgrade
Windows update cannot currently check for updates can appear if there’s an issue with Windows Update, but you can fix this problem by performing an in-place upgrade. In case you don’t know, an in-place upgrade will force your system to update and reinstall it while keeping all your files intact. To perform an in-place upgrade, do the following:
- Download and run Media Creation Tool.
- Choose Upgrade this PC now option and click Next.
- Select Download and install updates (recommended) and click the Next button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. Once you reach Ready to install screen you need to click Change what to keep.
- Select Keep personal files and apps and click the Next button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup.
Once the setup is finished, check if the problem with Windows Update is still there.
Windows Update cannot currently check for updates can be a problematic error, and prevent you from downloading updates, but we hope that you managed to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Fix Windows Update error 0x80070003: 5 methods that really work
- FIX: 0x800f0805 Windows update error
- FIX: Windows Update Failing on Clean Install of Windows 10, 8.1
Chromium-based Edge browser will offer high quality content by automatically switching the user agent. In this manner, Chromium-based technology ensures the browser is compatibility with […]
Microsoft released a new series of Patch Tuesday updates at the beginning of April. However, the updates didn’t go well with some of the leading […]