- Many users have been reporting a You need a WIA driver scanner error.
- This nasty error can prevent you from using a third-party scanner, which can seriously hinder work.
- To learn more about fixing a variety of devices, check out our dedicated Peripherals Fix section.
- Need help with other issues as well? Our dedicated Fix section has you covered all the way.
The Windows Image Acquisition service enables scanners, and other imaging devices, to communicate with graphics software, such as Photoshop.
However, some users have stated on forums that the You need a WIA driver error message pops up when they try to utilize their HP or Canon scanners.
The full WIA driver error message states: You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or manufacturer’s website and try again. So, it suggests that users update their WIA drivers to resolve the issue.
While we’re at it, let’s quickly review some related issues that our readers reported so that you know exactly what you’re up against.
Where does this error occur and what to expect?
- The WIA driver is in use and cannot be installed
- Windows WIA scan error (WIA error code 80004005)
- You need a WIA driver to use this device Epson/HP/Canon scanner/Brother scanner/Fujitsu/Lexmark (In such cases, the Canon printer simply won’t scan, nor will the HP printer, among others).
- The WIA driver is in use and cannot be installed Kodak
- ScanSnap WIA driver missing (ScanSnap ix500 WIA driver error)
- HP Print and Scan Doctor stuck on Windows (WIA) scan
- You need a WIA driver to use this device Windows 7
How do I fix common WIA driver errors?
1. Update the WIA Driver
There are a few ways users can update device drivers. As the error message says, users can download the latest WIA drivers from their scanner manufacturer’s websites.
Alternatively, users can update device drivers with a professional tool that will scan for and list devices with an antiquated driver.
A dedicated tool will scan your PC, detect old drivers, and then proceed to download and install the proper replacements, bringing your PC up to date as soon as possible.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system.There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Reinstall the WIA Driver
- Right-click the Start button and selecting the Device Manager, which will open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click View > Show hidden devices if the Device Manager doesn’t display the Imaging devices category. Then double-click Image devices to expand that category.
- Right-click the scanner device and select Uninstall device.
- Thereafter, click Uninstall to confirm.
- Windows will automatically reinstall the WIA driver after users restart the platform.
As the You need a WIA driver is primarily a driver error, reinstalling the scanner WIA driver might resolve the issue.
3. Check that the Windows Image Acquisition service is enabled
- Right-click the Start button and select Run.
- Enter services.msc in Run’s Open box, and select the OK option.
- Then double-click Windows Image Acquisition to open the window shown directly below.
- Select Automatic on the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Click the Start button.
- If the service is already running, click the Stop button. Then press Start to restart WIA.
- Press the Apply button to confirm the settings, and click OK to close the window.
Those are the most probable resolutions for the You need a WIA driver error.
In addition, some companies provide their own troubleshooters for their scanners, such as the HP Print and Scan Doctor, which might also come in handy for fixing the WIA driver issue.