The Windows Image Acquisition service enables scanners, and other imaging devices, to communicate with graphics software, such as Photoshop. However, some users have stated on forums that the You need a WIA driver error message pops up when they try to utilize their HP or Canon scanners.
The full WIA driver error message states: You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or manufacturer’s website and try again. So, it suggests that users update their WIA drivers to resolve the issue.
How do I install a WIA driver?
1. Check the Windows Image Acquisition Service is Enabled
- First, check that the Windows Image Acquisition service is enabled and running. To do that, right-click the Start button and select Run.
- Enter ‘services.msc’ in Run’s Open box, and select the OK option.
- Then double-click Windows Image Acquisition to open the window shown directly below.
- Select Automatic on the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Click the Start button.
- If the service is already running, click the Stop button. Then press Start to restart WIA.
- Press the Apply button to confirm the settings, and click OK to close the window.
2. Reinstall the WIA Driver
- As the “You need a WIA driver” is primarily a driver error, reinstalling the scanner WIA driver might resolve the issue. Users can do that by right-clicking the Start button and selecting the Device Manager, which will open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click View > Show hidden devices if Device Manager doesn’t display the Imaging devices category. Then double-click Image devices to expand that category.
- Right-click the scanner device and select Uninstall device.
- Thereafter, click Uninstall to confirm.
- Windows will automatically reinstall the WIA driver after users restart the platform.
3. Update the WIA Driver
There are a few ways users can update device drivers. As the error message says, users can download the latest WIA drivers from their scanner manufacturer’s websites. Alternatively, users can update device drivers with Driver Booster 6, which will scan for and list devices with an antiquated driver. Check out the post link below for a full guide on how to update drivers in Windows.
Those are the most probable resolutions for the You need a WIA driver error. In addition, some companies provide their own troubleshooters for their scanners, such as the HP Print and Scan Doctor, that might also come in handy for fixing the WIA driver issue.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: