There are plenty of websites where you can play Flash games in your browser. These sites include games with high pace gameplay that lag can slow down in Firefox and other browsers.
Lag is delayed server response times, and heavy lag can have a big impact on the game’s gameplay. Here are a few ways that you can reduce Flash game lag in Firefox.
In order to have the best gaming experience on your Firefox browser, you need to take care of a few settings. Here we offer you some methods to do just that.
How do I reduce Firefox flash game lag?
- Disable Flash Content Rendering
- Reduce the Flash Game Graphical Quality
- Configure the Hardware Acceleration Setting
- Close Running Background Software
- Close Firefox Tabs and Add-ons
- Clear the Flash Game Cache
Solution 1 – Disable Flash Content Rendering
A previous Firefox 49.0.2 update increased lag in Flash games due to a new flag that enabled Flash game rendering in the browser.
This has slowed down games on gaming sites such as Friv.com. You can switch off the flash rendering as follows.
- First, type ‘about:config’ into Firefox’s address bar and press Enter to open the page in the shot below.
- Enter ‘dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enabled’ into the search bar at the top of the about:config page.
- If dom.ipc.plugins.asyncdrawing.enabled is set to true, double-click it to switch it to false. Now you’ve effectively switched off the Flash game rendering.
Solution 2 – Reduce the Flash Game Graphical Quality
- You can customize the graphical quality of most Flash games in any browser. To do so, open the Flash game Firefox.
- Then you should right-click the Flash game to open its context menu and select Quality as below.
- That submenu includes three graphical settings. Select either the Medium or Low option to reduce the graphical quality of the game and lag.
Solution 3 – Configure the Hardware Acceleration Setting
Flash games also include a hardware acceleration option. This can cause lag if selected or not, which might seem a little confusing.
So if the Flash games have lag, you can adjust this setting as follows.
- First, you should right-click a Flash game window and select Settings.
- Click the button at the bottom left corner of the window to open the Enable hardware acceleration option in the snapshot below.
- If this option isn’t selected, click it to enable hardware acceleration. Then your graphics card will display the Flash game.
- If the Enable hardware acceleration option is already selected, you should still click its check box if games have lag. This will remove any potential hardware compatibility issues with the Flash player, which can also reduce lag.
Solution 4 – Close Running Background Software
Background Software can generate lag and slow down games. Firstly, all software hogs at a least a little RAM and system resources, which generally slows down games.
Secondly, some programs will also hog bandwidth, which can generate lag for streaming media and Flash games. As such, you should have just the Firefox window open on your taskbar for the Flash games.
In addition, you can also close other background software not on the taskbar as follows.
- Right-click the Windows taskbar and select Task Manager to open the window below.
- Click the Processes tab that displays both open applications and background processes.
- Select third-party software background processes that might be hogging bandwidth, and then press the End task button to close them.
Solution 5 – Close Firefox Tabs and Add-ons
Firefox tabs and add-ons also need some extra RAM. So close all the background page tabs open in the browser to ensure more RAM is available for the Flash games.
You should also switch add-ons off by selecting Open menu > Add-ons to open the tab directly below. Click Extensions and then press the Disable buttons beside the add-ons listed there.
Solution 6 – Clear the Flash Game Cache
Incorrect cache settings can also generate Flash game lag. As such, it might be worth clearing the Flash Player cache out as follows.
- Open the Flash game that lags in Firefox.
- Next, you should right-click the Flash game and select Global Settings from the context menu to open the window directly below.
- Select the Advanced tab in the shot below.
- Press the Delete All button and then click Delete Data to clear the Flash cache.
- Then close the game website and Flash Player Settings Manager window.
- Open the game website in Firefox again and reload the Flash game.
So that’s how you can reduce Flash game lag in Firefox and other browsers. Now the games will run quicker and more smoothly than before.
- FIX: Can’t set Firefox as the default browser in Windows 10
- 3 Firefox Dynamic Themes you simply need to try out
- 9 game recording software for Windows 10 that don’t lag
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2016 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.