- Realtek audio is among the most prevalent codec software for Windows desktops and laptops.
- This guide includes guidelines for reinstalling the Realtek audio driver in Windows 10.
- You can browse through a multitude of other easy-to-follow guides by exploring our How-to hub.
- Don't hesitate to visit our detailed Software section for other useful guides, tips, and tricks.
Therefore, reinstalling Realtek HD Audio Codec drivers can often resolve numerous sound issues on Windows PCs. This is how you can reinstall the Realtek audio driver within Windows 10.
How to safely reinstall sound drivers on Windows 10?
1. Check out IObit Driver Booster
Although you can manually reinstall the Realtek audio driver, some users might prefer to utilize driver updater software instead.
The IObit Driver Booster 7 software is one of the most highly-rated utilities for updating drivers, and for good reason.
After installing the software the only thing that’s between you an a fully-functional system is just a few clicks of the mouse. Thanks to its user-friendly interface, the process of searching for updates is easy.
The software automatically downloads all the drivers for your system’s needs by checking your system’s setup and accessing its enormous database of drivers for each of the devices you use it with.
This software will scan for missing or outdated device drivers and automatically update (or reinstall) them.
It is a fast and efficient driver updater software with an extensive driver database. So, check it out!
IObit Driver Booster 7Forget about searching for drivers manually on the producer's websites. This incredibly powerful software offers you access to automatic driver updates with just a few clicks of the mouse.
2. How to reinstall Realtek audio driver Windows 10
Uninstall the driver
- Press the Windows key + X hotkeys.
- Select Device Manager on the menu to open the window shown directly below.
- Double-click Sound, video and game controllers to expand that category.
- Right-click Realtek High Definition Audio and select the Uninstall device option.
- Click the Delete the driver software for this device option shown directly below.
- Click Uninstall to confirm.
Search for duplicate drivers
- Click View and Show hidden devices. Uninstall duplicate audio drivers if there are any.
- Restart Windows before reinstalling the driver.
- Open the Realtek HD Audio Driver download page.
- Click the 64 or 32-bit Realtek HD Audio Driver link to download the driver installer.
- Open the downloaded installer for the Realtek HD Audio Driver.
- Go through the setup wizard to install the Realtek HD Audio Driver.
- Restart Windows.
3. Uninstall the Realtek sound driver via Programs and Features
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Next, type in appwiz.cpl in Run’s box; and click the OK button.
- Enter Realtek in the search programs box.
- Select the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver listed within Programs and Features.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Choose Yes on any confirmation prompts.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling the Realtek audio driver.
- Then reinstall the Realtek audio driver manually as outlined above.
As you can see, reinstalling drivers is not as easy as it seems if you’re not using specialized software to do so. For a better and faster result, it is recommended that you use iObit Driver Booster 7.
Feel free to share your experience with us by using the comment section below.