If you’re using Windows 10 and if you are trying to fix The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection malfunction, check the details below.
Depending on each situation, we can identify several causes which might include:
- A proxy setting was enabled on Windows 10
- Some changes were made within the Microsoft Edge web-browser
- Default settings of the antivirus program might have changed
- The Firewall settings aren’t set properly
- There are issues with your IP config.
The scenario that’s most likely to happen is this one: you try to access a certain web page and you get an error message saying that the webpage cannot be displayed.
You then run the diagnostic sequence indicated by your browser and you see the following prompt: The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection.
Note: It doesn’t matter what web-browser you are using as this error can occur on Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and so on.
How do I fix a remote device or resource won’t accept the connection error?
1. Turn off proxy settings
- Click on the Search icon – it is located right next to the Windows Start button and it’s the same with the Cortana action key. Or you can press the Win+R keyboard buttons in order to launch the Search box.
- In the Search field type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
- This command will bring up Internet Properties.
- From the window that will be displayed switch to the Connections tab.
- Then, choose the LAN settings field.
- From the Local Area Network Settings window uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN option. Automatically detect settings must be still checked though.
- Apply these changes.
- Restart your web-browser and try to connect as the steps from above should have fixed The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection issue.
If the problem is still there, try to apply the methods that are explained below.
2. Reset Microsoft Edge to factory settings
- From the Start menu go to Internet Options.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- On the bottom of that window click on the Reset button.
- Click on OK if you get an alert and choose Reset from the window.
3. Reset the gateway IP address
- Apply all the steps that are explained during the first fix of this tutorial.
- Afterwards, bring the Search box and type cmd. Right-click on the first result and select Run as administrator to open Command Prompt with admin rights.
- In the cmd window type ipconfig/release and press Enter.
- Wait while the command is executed; then type ipconfig/renew and press Enter.
- Close the cmd window in the end and try to connect.
If you’re having trouble accessing Command Prompt as an admin, then you better take a closer look at this guide.
4. Turn off antivirus protection and disable Firewall
Sometimes you can experience the network connection error in Windows 10 if the antivirus software isn’t set properly. The best way in which you can verify whether the issue is caused by the antivirus program or not is to temporarily disable it.
Also, you should temporarily disable Firewall protection. After that, try to connect and if everything works without any problems, change your antivirus settings accordingly.
You want to check if the firewall is blocking a certain port or a feature? Follow the simple steps from this guide to find out.
Hopefully, you can now successfully use your network connections without any problems. If you are still getting the same The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection error let us know in the comments below.
FAQ: Want to learn more about antivirus protection?
- What is Antivirus and what are the different types of antivirus?
Antivirus software, or anti-malware software, is designed to detect, prevent and take action to inactivate or remove malicious software from your PC such as viruses, worms, and Trojan horses. It will also prevent or remove unwanted spyware, adware, and other types of malicious programs.
- How do I choose antivirus protection?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and it has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.