The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection: 4 ways to fix this error
Network issues are most likely the most annoying problems that can be experienced, regardless of the Windows version that’s installed on your computer. However, if you’re using Windows 10 and if you are still trying to find the perfect way to fix ‘The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection’ malfunction, don’t panic and read all this article.
But before resuming the troubleshooting steps you should learn more about what’s causing this network problem. Depending on each situation we can identify several causes which might include: a proxy setting was enabled on Windows 10; you made changes within the Microsoft Edge web browser app; you changed the default settings of the antivirus program that’s running on your computer; the Firewall settings aren’t set properly; there is something wrong with your IP config.
The result is that you can’t navigate towards your favorite web pages – actually you cannot establish any network connections, even if everything used to work normally. The scenario that’s most likely to happen is this one: you try to access a certain web page and you get an error message saying that the webpage cannot be displayed. You then run the diagnostic sequence indicated by your browser and you see the following prompt: ‘The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection’.
Note: it doesn’t matter what web browser you are using as this error can occur on Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and so on.
At this point you should start the troubleshooting process available below.
The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection [FIX]
Solution 1 — Turn off proxy settings
- Click on the Search icon – it is located right next to the Windows Start button and it’s the same with the Cortana action key. Or you can press the Win+R keyboard buttons in order to launch the Search box.
- In the Search field type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
- This command will bring up Internet Properties.
- From the window that will be displayed switch to ‘Connections’ tab.
- Then, choose the ‘LAN settings’ field.
- From the ‘Local Area Network Settings’ window uncheck the ‘Use a proxy server for your LAN’ option. ‘Automatically detect settings’ must be still checked though.
- Apply these changes.
- Restart your web browser and try to connect as the steps from above should have fixed ‘The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection’ issue.
If the problem is still there, try to apply the methods that are explained below:
Solution 2 — Reset Microsoft Edge to factory settings
- As already explained above, go to Internet Properties.
- From there, switch to the Advance tab.
- From the bottom of that window click on the ‘Reset’ button.
- Click on ‘Ok’ if you get an alert and choose ‘Reset’ from the window that will be then displayed.
- That’s all; your IE will be now restored back to its default settings.
Solution 3 — Reset the getway IP address
- Apply all the steps that are explained during the first ‘fix’ of this tutorial.
- Afterwards, bring the Search box and type cmd and press Enter.
- In the cmd window type ipconfig/release and press Enter.
- Wait while the command is executed; then type ipconfig/renew and press Enter.
- Close the cmd window in the end and try to connect.
Solution 4 — Turn off antivirus protection and disable Firewall
Sometimes you can experience the network connection error in Windows 10 if the antivirus software isn’t set properly. The best way in which you can verify whether the issue is caused by the antivirus program or not is to temporarily enable it. Also, you should temporarily disable Firewall protection. After that, try to connect and if everything works without any problems, change your antivirus settings accordingly.
Hopefully you can now successfully use your network connections without any problems. If you are still getting the same ‘The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection’ error let us know in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix:”The remote connection was not made” Windows 10 error
- Fix: “The remote connection was denied” on Windows 10
- You can now enable Remote Desktop from the Windows 10 Settings page
From billing and data management to keeping track of inventory, finance and business tasks, Microsoft Excel is one handy program. The fact that Excel application is […]
A recent security update by Microsoft addressed an Internet Explorer‘s vulnerability that was initially discovered by Google’s Threat Analysis Group. Microsoft described the vulnerability as “An information […]