The easiest way to make a copy of an interesting article, a recipe, a how-to-guide or a funny image is to take a screenshot. You can simply use the dedicated keyboard key to take a screenshot, or you can use a specialized tool to help you get the job done better.
Using a screenshot-taking tool brings more advantages: your screenshots are clearer, especially when you’re taking screenshots of a video, you can quickly edit them, add comments, capture only a region of the screen, and more.
Here are the best screenshot-taking tools for Windows 10
PicPick is a complex screenshot-taking software that brings many additional options to the table: an intuitive image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel-ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and more. Thanks to the plethora of features it offers, PicPick can be used by home owners as well as graphic designers.
Other features include:
- Capture anything: take screenshots of an entire screen, an active window or any specific region of your desktop
- Enhance with effects: drop shadows, frames, watermarks, mosaic, motion blur, brightness control
- Edit your images: add text, arrows, shapes and more with the built-in image editor
- Share your screenshots everywhere: send your images via Web, email, Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Facebook or Twitter.
The quality of the effects you can use is impressive and additional options, such as the stamps you can add, make PicPick one of the best Windows 10 screenshot-taking tools.
TinyTake developers boast about this tool as being the fastest way to take screenshots, record videos and share them with friends. You can also add comments, publish your screen captures online, get a shareable link, and reference your history. This tools is easy to use, it’s free and it’s very popular – more than 7500 companies use it worldwide.
TinyTake supports the following features:
- Record a video of your screen (upto 120 minutes)
- Record a video using your web-cam
- Capture a region, a window or entire screen
- Capture an image using your web-cam
- Open, annotate and share an existing image
- Copy to clipboard or save it locally
- Store screenshots & videos in the cloud
- Zoom in / zoom out
- Assign custom short-cut keys.
You can download TinyTake for free from the tool’s official page.
Lightshot is a modern and powerful screen-taking tool that also supports social media sharing. Simply press the Print Screen key to take the screenshot you want, select an area, and then click on the “Upload” button. The tool will create a link you can use to share the screenshot with your friends or post it on social media.
Key features include:
- Screenshot history: keep track of all your screenshots by signing in at www.prntscr.com
- Copy a screenshot to clipboard: you can then paste it into any suitable application such as Word, Paint or Photoshop
- Use hotkeys to speed up Lightshot: almost every task has its own hotkey.
You can download Lightshot for free from Skillbrains.
Screenpresso is a feature-rich screenshot-taking tool with a very intuitive interface. If you’ve never used itbefore, you’ll quickly grasp what each button does thanks to the user guide generator.
You can choose what screen part to capture, zoom-in for more accuracy, record your screen in a video and quickly create step-by-step guides. This free tool is perfect for professional users because it supports file sharing on various platforms: Screenpresso Cloud for instant sharing with a public tiny URL, Email clients, Google Drive, YouTube, OneDrive and OneNote, Dropbox, social media platforms and more.
Other features include:
- Capture scrolling windows: make a unique image of scrolling windows thanks to the stitching mechanism
- Capture your mouse cursor and the context of the capture
- Built-in vector image editor to mark up your screen captures
- All screen captures are automatically saved to a widget-like panel called the “Workspaces”
- Support for 19 languages.
You can download Screenpresso for free from LearnPulse.
Screenshot Captor has been around for over than years, helping you take screenshots of your screen. Over the years, Screenshot Captor’s developers added more and more features, turning it into a very good screenshot-taking tool.
This software is optimized for taking lots of screenshots with minimal intervention, allowing you to focus on the image you want to capture rather than navigate through a maze of options. Another major advantage is the update frequency, as Screenshot Captor regularly receives new features and improvements. It is also worth mentioning that this tool is free of adware, spyware, bundled toolbars, or other unwanted third-party software.
Other features include:
- Take snapshots from webcams
- Special effects: automatic active window enhancement, ragged edge splicing, pixelation, smart text removal, and more.
- Multi-monitor support and lots of capture modes: Multimon (multiple monitors), Desktop, Active Window, Region, Windows Object, Scrolling Capture.
- Support for 3rd party user configurable tools, including file browsers and image editors. You can extend the program to do whatever you need by interfacing it with other programs.
As far as the user interface is concerned, users may sometimes get the impression that they’re using an old Windows XP software. Other than that, Screenshot Captor is a very powerful screenshot-taking tool.
You can download Screenshot Captor for free from DonationCoder.
Snipping Tool is a built-in Windows 10 software you can use to take screenshots. After you capture a snip, it’s automatically copied to the Snipping Tool window where you can annotate, save, or share it. The user interface is very simple and intuitive, and if you’ve never used Snipping Tool before you’ll quickly understand what each option/ button does.
You can capture 4 types of snips:
- Free-form Snip: draw a free-form shape around an object, like the one from above
- Rectangular Snip: drag the cursor around an object to form a rectangle.
- Window Snip: select a window to capture, such as a browser window.
- Full-screen Snip: capture the entire screen.
To use Snipping Tool, simply type “snipping” in the search bar and select the first result. Snipping Tool is not the most complex screenshot-taking tool, but it’s a built-in app which means it is available for all Windows 10 users.
These 5 free screenshot-taking tools we included in our list brings various features, and you can choose the right tool for your based on your needs, and skill level. Have you already used these Windows 10 screenshot-taking tools? Tell us more about your experience in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- 10 Best Audio Recording Software for Windows 10
- Best Windows 10 desktop gadgets to download
- Best Windows 10 download managers