The easiest way to make a copy of an interesting article, a recipe, a how-to-guide or a funny image is to take a screenshot. You can simply use the dedicated keyboard key to take a screenshot, or you can use a specialized tool to help you get the job done better.
Using a screenshot-taking tool brings more advantages: your screenshots are clearer, especially when you’re taking screenshots of a video, you can quickly edit them, add comments, capture only a region of the screen, and more.
Here are the best screenshot-taking tools for Windows 10
PicPick is a complex screenshot-taking software that brings many additional options to the table: an intuitive image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel-ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and more. Thanks to the plethora of features it offers, PicPick can be used by homeowners as well as graphic designers.
Other features include:
- Capture anything: take screenshots of an entire screen, an active window or any specific region of your desktop
- Enhance with effects: drop shadows, frames, watermarks, mosaic, motion blur, brightness control
- Edit your images: add text, arrows, shapes and more with the built-in image editor
- Share your screenshots everywhere: send your images via Web, email, Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Facebook or Twitter.
The quality of the effects you can use is impressive and additional options, such as the stamps you can add, make PicPick one of the best Windows 10 screenshot-taking tools.
TinyTake developers boast about this tool as being the fastest way to take screenshots, record videos and share them with friends. You can also add comments, publish your screen captures online, get a shareable link, and reference your history. This tools is easy to use, it’s free and it’s very popular – more than 7500 companies use it worldwide.
TinyTake supports the following features:
- Record a video of your screen (upto 120 minutes)
- Record a video using your web-cam
- Capture a region, a window or entire screen
- Capture an image using your web-cam
- Open, annotate and share an existing image
- Copy to clipboard or save it locally
- Store screenshots & videos in the cloud
- Zoom in / zoom out
- Assign custom short-cut keys.
You can download TinyTake for free from the tool’s official page.
Lightshot is a modern and powerful screen-taking tool that also supports social media sharing. Simply press the Print Screen key to take the screenshot you want, select an area, and then click on the “Upload” button. The tool will create a link you can use to share the screenshot with your friends or post it on social media.
Key features include:
- Screenshot history: keep track of all your screenshots by signing in at www.prntscr.com
- Copy a screenshot to clipboard: you can then paste it into any suitable application such as Word, Paint or Photoshop
- Use hotkeys to speed up Lightshot: almost every task has its own hotkey.
You can download Lightshot for free from Skillbrains.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page. If you’re interested in other screenshot software, check out our wide collection of guides.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2016 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.