- In order to download the Synaptics touchpad driver on your laptop, you need to check your device's model.
- Your manufacturer's support page will provide all the drivers that you need.
- Alternatively, you can use third-party software to manage your drivers.
Users of laptop computers may come across the Synaptic touchpad driver while browsing through Device Manager, or they may see the Synaptic name on the Windows system tray. It is a driver responsible for the operation of your laptop’s touchpad.
Synaptic is the firm that manufactures the majority of laptop touchpads, as a result, it is common among laptops.
In this post, we will see how to download the Synaptics touchpad driver on Windows 11 right after we understand whether you need it or not. Follow along!
Do I need the Synaptics touchpad driver?
For laptops that feature touchpads manufactured by Synaptic, the Synaptic touchpad driver is intended to be used with them.
What exactly is a driver, you might wonder. It is a software component that allows the OS and a device to communicate with one another across a network connection. The Synaptic touchpad driver enables the user to take advantage of all of the touchpad’s features to their full potential.
If you uninstall the driver, Windows will simply switch to utilizing the generic one as a replacement. This restriction does not, however, allow the user to make use of device-specific functionality like two-finger scrolling.
The Windows Precision driver was created by Microsoft and it is likewise a touchpad driver. Many users prefer it over the Synaptic one.
Microsoft has created this driver specifically to address the difficulties that have plagued other touchpad drivers in the past. The Synaptic driver has been noted to have various difficulties, which have been said to be resolved once users switched to the Windows Precision driver.
How can I download Synaptics touchpad driver on Windows 11?
1. Try a third-party software
DriverFix is intended to be as light on your computer as possible, and the only components that you will actually download and install on your computer are the driver scanner and downloader.
Updated drivers will be downloaded by the software as soon as they are made available by their respective manufacturers, thus saving you time and possible driver-related bugs that can pop up due to outdated versions.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system.There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Use Device Manager
- Note that this will work only if you already have the driver installed but you want to update it. Right-click on the Start icon from Taskbar and choose Device Manager.
- Expand the Mice and other pointing devices section and right-click on the Synaptics touchpad driver in order to choose Update driver.
- Choose the Search automatically for drivers option.
- Next, click on the Select for updated drivers on Windows Update option.
- Click on Advanced options then Optional updates in order to see the available Synaptics touchpad driver for download. Lastly, select it and hit the Download & install button.
There are a variety of reasons why you would need to enter Device Manager in Windows, but the most common one is to troubleshoot an issue with the physical hardware of your computer.
The fact is that, regardless of whether you’re trying to update device drivers, alter system resources, diagnose Device Manager error codes, or even just check on the health of a particular device, you’ll need to become familiar with this app.
3. Use your laptop manufacturer’s website
- We will be using Lenovo as an example, but you will have to navigate to your own specific device manufacturer in order to download the Synaptics touchpad driver. This being said, here’s the Lenovo support page from where you can choose PC in order to start.
- Next, enter your product model and go to Drivers & software.
- Type Synaptics touchpad driver in the search bar. The available drivers will be shown to you as a result.
If you encounter errors after installing the Synaptics driver and you don’t use DriverFix, take a look at our post on what to do if the Synaptics touchpad is disabled at startup. However, we recommend that you check out the third-party software as it will solve the error automatically for you.
Alternatively, if the touchpad is not working in Windows 11 and you can’t seem to figure it out, check out our article in order to solve the issue in no time.
Leave us a comment in the section below and tell us what you think as well as whether you have more methods in mind. Thanks for reading!